Wednesday, October 5, 2011

grandmas

I remember having breakfast at her house. Sitting in those chairs that you could spin around, the kind that you could race across the kitchen floor, except they didn't go very fast because Grandma had carpet in her kitchen. 'Who does that?' I think now, except that I remember it's my grandmother and damn it; she doesn't like cold feet, so she's going to have carpet in her kitchen.

She'd have some sort of waltz, organ, churchish music playing in the background, coming from her clock radio. It was the 1980's, there were things like boom boxes; things that played music better, better acoustics. The music sounded horrible. I remember I changed the channel one day thinking I would trick her, she didn't say anything though, she just switched it back to her station without a mention.

And it was always Kellogg's Corn Flakes for breakfast. I couldn't think of anything more boring for breakfast than corn flakes. I asked if she 'would ever get anything other than corn flakes?', I don't remember her response, but I remember there being a box of Frosted (corn) Flakes the next time I stayed over.

Because that's what grandmas do. They spoil you. They answer your requests. They do anything for you.

::

My boys rummaged through my mom's sewing closet full of remnants of material. They each made their own cape; one plaid and one plain red. They wore them the entire weekend they were at my parent's house.

And this weekend, there were real capes waiting for them in their bedroom at my parent's house, sewn by my mom.


My grandmother passed away on Friday. There are little things that stick with me, that will always stick with me about her, like corn flakes and AM radio stations.

I hope one day, for my boys, one of those little things will be superhero capes.

13 comments:

L. Shanna said...

Beautiful post, wonderful memories. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother...

Liz Mays said...

I suspect whether or not it's the capes, there will be deep and lasting things that stick. I love your memories.

Mrs. M said...

I bet they will. Grandma's rock, I'm sorry for your loss.

amanda said...

mine is bacon. always. she was always frying bacon.

love, hugs and prayers to you and your whole family.

xo

Emmy said...

With my grandpa it was all of the noise he would make first thing in the morning making us a big breakfast and the little metal box he had that was always filled with M&m's as they were my favorite. Sorry about your grandma.

Marie said...

I am so, so, sorry that your Grandma passed. I will be thinking of you and sending up some prayers.

This post is a beautiful tribute to her. I'm sure she's looking down from heaven and giggling at the boys' capes.

God Bless,
-MM

Shan said...

I am sad for you, Beth.

I still miss my grandma. I have a closet full of the photo albums she and my grandpa made. I keep the door closed unless I need to go in there and breathe in the scent of their house.

Big hugs.

4luvandlife said...

2 cool ladies. Betty and Peg.

Jen Westpfahl said...

So sorry for your loss.

One memory that sticks with my about my grandma is frozen waffles with syrup and real butter even though she made plenty of delicious homemade food. I don't know why.

Caution/Lisa said...

My kids have a good grandma, too. And along the way, we've picked up several more adopted grandmas. One can never have enough of those :)

Wisconsin Parent said...

Love this post - and totally agree with the carpet on your kitchen.

Aryn said...

I read this aloud to Benji while we were in San Francisco. It made me cry. Really good writing, B. Wish I could have been here with you guys.

Unknown said...

Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandma. *hugs*

I have no doubt that your mom will create many, many memories for your little ones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...