Thursday, October 20, 2011

flu shots remind me of college

Somehow the kids figured out that they are getting flu shots tonight. It probably has something to do with me spelling it out within earshot and darn it, Henry getting better at sounding that kind of stuff out.

Anyways, I usually try to keep it a secret, like we are going someplace fabulous, like Disney World, and then bait-and-switch them at the doors of the clinic... 'You guys totally weren't listening to me, I said flu shot, not fun spot.'

So, I've been fending off questions all day long.

The boys: Is it going to hurt?
Me: Just for a second, then it's fine.

The boys: Show us how it feels.
Me: (I grab a pen and poke it into their skin a little.)
The boys: THAT HURTS!! Why would you hurt us like that? And a flu shot is going to be worse than that?

(Henry, the oldest, starts to tear up. Wyatt declares that he 'will run out of the room!'.)

Wyatt thinks about it for a little bit longer, 'I will run out of the room, grab a flu shot needle and get you instead!', Wyatt proclaims this with his best take that face.

I told him that I was going to get my flu shot too, so there was no need to 'get me' with a needle.

Them: Do you cry when you get shots?
Me: No, but one time I nearly passed out from getting shots. I was 18 and getting a ton of shots at the same time. My ears started ringing, I couldn't see very well, the nurse had me lay down on the couch in the office.

The boys are now sitting on the edge of their seats.

Them: Wow! What other times have you passed out?

(silence)

Me: Umm, oh ... never mind...

Now, who wants to get treats after shots?

6 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I thought the passing out story would freak them out. They surprised me!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I'll take some shots after shots, thank you! :) But, seriously, I hate taking my kid for shots. It sucks. Just plain sucks.

simplicity said...

Ha! Laughing with your ending!

And love that they thought it was funny and interesting the passing out thing and not scary :)

amanda said...

awwww college. the good ole days :)

here's to treats at target after shots!! hip hip hooray!!

ps- and here's to us making tomorrow work! fingers crossed!!

L. Shanna said...

How did they do? If I were them, I would have insisted on Dairy Queen afterward.

Emmy said...

Lol! Why were you getting so many shots at 18? that does not sound fun at all.
Oh and this reminds me- i need to schedule Ryder's 18 month check up

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...