Thursday, October 6, 2011

a page ripped from my parenting manual

Wyatt can be gross. He's pretty compulsive in his booger picking. He tries to be slick and just do a little slide action from his nose to his mouth, but fails, most of the time, to fool anyone into thinking that he's not picking his nose.

Last night, we were sitting at the table eating dinner, well... most of us were eating. I caught Wyatt picking his nose for the 20 billionth time that day and teased him about 'liking to eat boogers more than my dinner'.

He laughed with his dimples and started eating his rice instead.

I turned to Edy and started cutting up more chicken because this girl is a meatitarian, 'go meat or go home' she says... whatever, you get it, she likes chicken and needed more before she started her high pitch shrill she has to let people know of her existence (at least in a 5 mile radius of our house).

I turned back to look at Wyatt and he had his finger back in his nose.

'Wyatt!' I screamed, 'Stop it!'.

He screamed back at me 'I can't, I've got lots of boogers in my nose!'

I tried to explain to him, 'that's because you don't know how to blow your nose'. (Somehow that page must have been ripped out of my parenting manual about how to teach your child how to blow their nose, because none of my kids know how to do it. They sit there, me holding the Kleenex, demanding them to shut their mouth and blowing like an elephant... but I digress.)

So Wyatt continues to pick his nose while I grab my paper towel.

'Blow!' I tell him.

Which of course, doesn't work.

I tell him 'just let me look, let me see how many boogers you have.'

That's when I see that the kid's managed to shove several pieces of rice up into his nose.

'How did those get up there?' I asked as I pulled the grains out of his nose.

He shrugged his shoulders, kind of saying: big deal, I pull weird stuff out of his nose all the time and he continued eating his rice.

Thank God, at least the kid knows how to use a fork.

I'm holding onto that parenting success tightly.


And I can't believe I linked two other posts talking about Wyatt eating boogers. Is there some sort of 12 step process I should be starting him on?

8 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I think it's just a phase go through - just keep asking him if he needs a tissue. Or better yet tie a box of tissue around his neck like a necklace!

Oh and good job with the fork using - we struggle with that here!

amanda said...

rice up his nose. oh honey. i don't even know what to say!! well maybe do you mind making sure he keeps that little trick to himself when we are together next summer :)

hope your thursday is happy...

saucersrus said...

Maybe you should invite "Batman" to dinner!! LOL it's a total phase. Be grateful you live in a humid climate. It's even worse in the dry climate of New Mexico :)

Liz Mays said...

I think it's irresistible to kids to find treasure up there, and clearly he keeps hiding new treasures to find!

dahozho said...

Sigh. My Small-fry is kind of like this too. On both the nose-picking AND sticking stuff up his nose.

Yes. My son pull the wool/cotton 'pills' from the bag his grandmother knitted for him and STUCK THEM UP HIS NOSE. This has happened a couple of times. After experiencing the fourth or fifth maternal meltdown/hysterics, he hasn't done it again.

But he also hasn't learned to effectively blow his nose yet either. A work in progress...

Beth, at least you've got the boys using their silverware!

Shan said...

No advice coming from me. I never found rice up Corey's nose, but I did have to work really hard to get a camphor bean out. Nice.

Mad's never stuck anything up her nose. Wanna know why? Quarters don't fit. Why do I periodically find her with a quarter up against her nostril?

As for Fynnie, she's all meat all the time, too. Tonight I did something I rarely do... let her feed herself in the car. It's a long drive and I worry about... well never mind all that... I got her a chicken strip from Chick-Fil-A and had to shred that sucker as fast as I could. Plopped it back in the box and handed it to her. When we got home, the box was not only empty, she had flattened it and tossed it aside. Now I know why Madelyn kept saying, "Madewen is eating this Fynnie. This is Madewen's." Little tremor of fear in her voice that maybe Fynnie's car seat buckles wouldn't hold and she'd lose her chicken sammich.

The Accidental Somebody said...

Get a tissue and hold it over his nose with one hand, hold your other hand over his mouth. Now have someone tickle him and he will have no choice but to shoot the snot into the tissue.


:)

Emmy said...

I have a booger picker too. Just about a hour ago I as telling her that people are going to tease her and make run of her if he keeps it up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...