Thursday, April 3, 2008

A candidate

A fine fellow-blogger Marketing Mama has asked me to share something about becoming a surrogate. Since my story took two years to unfold, I will share this story in parts.

In a previous life, I had a job as an Assistant Technical Designer, then a Technical Designer for a Minneapolis-based retailer. On one no-day-in-particular, I was in that special room called the Mother's Room pumping for my then six month-old son. I was holding the cups with one hand and flipping through magazines with the other. (This was before I discovered that lovely hands-free expression bra). I was never prepared enough to bring my own magazines, so I usually just had to settle for what was within tube distance.

A May 2004 issue of Parents came to the top, I flipped though until an article caught my attention. In short, it was about a woman who simply went to a hairstylist, was asked by the stylist as women often are 'if she had any children?'. This question brought emotion as the woman discussed the trials they have gone through to try and have a baby. By the end of the discussion, the hairstylist decided that she wanted to have a baby for this woman , a woman she just met. She said "Nine months isn't a long time to give a gift like that."

That was it. That sentence became my mantra. I knew that I wanted to be a surrogate. I knew that I could make a change in this world by giving the world this little human being.

I started researching surrogacy immediately. I found a website for what seemed to be the biggest and best surrogacy agency in the nation and quickly asked for an application. The three questions that all agencies will ask were asked: are you under 35 years of age? are you married? have you had child(ren) of your own? In my experience, you must answer 'yes' to all three. With my 'yes'es, the application was promptly mailed.

The application itself was extensive. I had to hand-write answers from all biological questions of myself and my family, to more personal questions about why I wanted to do this, how would I deal with this situation, would my family be supportive. I answered each question as heartfelt as I could. In the end, I was sent a rejection later stating that 'their clients want to have the choice on whether to selectively reduce the number of embryos or not'. I'm Christian, I would not choose to abort a baby/babies under any circumstances. My heart was broken, perhaps surrogacy was not something I could do and keep my values.

Several months had passed, but I found myself talking about this experience with strangers, with anyone who would listen looking for some direction. Ultimately, I decided that if I was still yearning for this experience, it was meant to be part of my plan. I started researching agencies again. I then found an agency in the Minneapolis area. I called before I filled out anything, finding out their position. I was encouraged to fill out an application. I delivered this application in person.

I was accepted. I then began the really long process. I contacted my health insurance provider to make sure their was no surrogacy exclusions. I contacted the hospital to get my ob/gyn records and my labor and delivery records. I contacted my ob/gyn to get tested for countless things they might want surrogates to be tested for; I only remember it being 8 vials of blood total. I contacted the psychologist to schedule a meeting and to take a
MMPI.

In the end, I was now a candidate, waiting for the perfect soon-to-be family to look upon my application and just knowing that I was the surrogate that they have been looking and praying for.



Part two

17 comments:

Marketing Mama said...

Beth, I'm so excited you posted this. I loved reading this first installment and look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

that is amazing that so easily you could make up your mind to do something so loving for someone. Already this story is amazing! Was your husband okay with it from the get go

Anonymous said...

I am Beth's husband. Sorry I am posting under anonymous. I don't have a user name. I saw your question about my response. I will always remember when Beth first told me that this was in her heart. I was really stopped in my tracks for a few seconds but I remember my first thought was that it was very exciting to be a small part of a gift like that. I remember thinking that it is something that will probably be one of the best things of my life and that I will look back on it with a lot of happiness and joy.

I will also brag a little that I thought it was really cool to be married to someone that kind. I had always known her to have a big heart but I remember thinking how cool it was to be surprised and see just how big her heart is.

Anti-Supermom said...

Look at how sweet my husband was! My DH was supportive, others were not but I will get into that in future installments. Love you DH!

LutherLiz said...

Beth this is just so interesting. I can't answer yes for all that list but it is always something that has just sounded so generous and wonderful. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Emilie said...

Wow ... what an amazing story. I'm glad I happened across your blog tonight - and thanks for posting on mine so I could come looking for yours! I look forward to reading more.

kristine said...

WOW! I say that is an awfully HUGE heart! I wish I could do something so selfless like that. It is a great gift that you have given to someone. I look forward to reading more about this and 'catching up' with you!
Thanks for your comments on my blog about my decision. It is so hard to decide what's right and I am glad I could be that honest with myself. Thanks for the support!

OHmommy said...

You are an amazing person.

That comment does make me think. It really is only 9 months but a gift for a lifetime.

You have a beautiful heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

I've been thinking about you alot lately. Just moved house and been extra busy. No excuse really! Just jumped on to send you a message and saw your blog.
Every time I look into my little boys eyes I think of the wonderful gift you have given this family. You and your family will always be in our hearts. I'll send you a picture soon. Can you believe he will be 2 next month?
Love you always
Elle

PS I'll have to sign up for an account so I don't appear as anonymous next time.

Anonymous said...

holy moly. I've thought about this. You're VERY VERY brave.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for coming by my blog and answering my curiosity! I guess I've just wondered in my mind if I could ever do this for someone and feel like the letting go would be the hardest part.

Good chatting with you!

Mandy said...

I always wanted to know this story of yours....

What a wonderful person you are.

Kate said...

Wow, I'm all about hearing the rest of your story. That is amazing.

Michelle said...

Did the mother you gave birth for post here? WOW! and your husband's sweet comment.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://gyfivetety.arcadepages.com/kyqibawa.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real income.
It's all about how to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...