Thursday, April 3, 2008

Changing Times


I graduated high school from a speck of a town in Iowa. I graduated college feeling myself like a speck, but that's another story. In high school, I was involved in everything; from band, to choir, to plays, to cheerleading, to student council, to flags, I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, I should reference my yearbook, after all it's only 30-some pages long. I graduated with 52 students. My high school gave me so much opportunity to discover who I am that I will forever be grateful, but it also gave me an unique perspective on education. In high school, my physical education teacher nicknamed me 'Buns'. I distinctly remember my mathematics teacher having a poster in his room saying "36-24-36, I like those numbers!". I've heard that in recent years that the current principal of this high school is paid at a daily rate because she will not sign a contract keeping her there if 'something better comes along'.


This post isn't about myself, but I intended to talk about my son. My sweet four-year-old son who I am now preparing him for his state mandated Early Childhood Screening. This screening is a pre-requisite for enrolling him into a lottery to attend a public Spanish Immersion elementary school, where his chances of getting in will probably be less than 50% by next year. On top of this, he will be attending preschool four days a week come September with the option of attending Fridays, all-day.


I think that I will have to cherish as many moments that I can from his childhood (like Henry first learning to write him name) before he gets smarter than myself. At this rate, this anti-supermom will be saying "ask your Dad" by the time Henry reaches fourth grade!

3 comments:

Marketing Mama said...

Wow, those two stories from high school are shocking - the nickname and the poster! I would go through the roof if I saw those in my kids' school!!!

Good luck with the screening. I'm grateful I have another year or so before I start obsessing about school for my son.

OHmommy said...

Wow... that school sounds amazing. I wish we had programs like those.

When i taught in Milwaukee, WI. There were so many neat immerssion schools i dreamed of my kids attending.

But, here is OH, things are a little backwards.

So... you are from MN? My BF from college is from Edina. I love MN. Cool downtown!

itppeg said...

enjoy keeping in touch this way, good luck to Henry but he will be great at whatever he does.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...