Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pay Day

Some days I think to myself. I can't believe that I get paid for this (child care). I don't mean getting paid in hugs and kisses, but in the real stuff, as in cash. I do not make a lot of money by any means, simply enough to buy groceries and anything associated with the kiddos, i.e. diapers, formula, preschool, see previous post for additional areas my money flows freely to. I have three day weekends, always. I see my children everyday and I usually don't miss one of their 'big moments'. I am in an unique position where I am able to be home with my children and working, at the same time. I don't have to rush to the computer after the kids are in bed or am I plugging away at some stay-at-home craft where you get 10 cents for each completed or any other scheme from companies that prey on moms who only want to be with their children (you know the ads, all moms have seen them).

There are also days when I'm certain that I'm not making enough to take care of four children at the same time. I think I was most pitied when I was first starting out three years ago, I was watching four, yes four one-year-olds. We never left the house; it was the backyard, the living room or the playroom. Today, we travel often, I still get the pitied look on people's faces but I might be confusing this with awe, like I actually gave birth to twin four-year-olds and twin infants. To all those moms that simply do get paid in hugs and kisses, I am in awe of you!


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Well nice to see that you are making some money while watching kids. I have thought about watching another kids since I am already home with mine. But I will probably have to wait till my little Lucy is older

Marketing Mama said...

That is really cool that you get to make some money doing something you love - and that gives your family so many benefits. :)

By the way, I would love to hear more about your experiences as a surrogate!

Elly said...

When I take my sister's kids anywhere with us, we equal 4. 6,5,4,2 and I get those same looks...like, you're nuts or don't you know what birth control is, etc.

I think its fun and I feel like supermom/aunt.
Cheers, Elly

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...