Friday, March 21, 2008

Bribery, Hear Me Ring



Bribery has been a weapon for me for several years now. I probably thought I wasn't going to do this when Henry was younger, but I've discovered that it is, umm let me say difficult to rationally have a discussion with a two, three, or four year old. My big bribe was going to the Maple Maze this week. If you are lucky and have tolerance, you might have a bribe that will not only work for say a mealtime (for example, you don't eat your dinner, you won't get that cookie) but have one that really has some staying power. These are my favorites, I can lure it over his head for several days!


For those of you that know Henry, you know that he is very much a good kid. He is though, very highly motivated by bribery. Henry has been taking gymnastics for several sessions, this is the last class and he was simply just burnt out. He knew that the teacher was giving out lollipops at the end of class, so this had to be my 'reminder' to him throughout the class. "Keep going or your not getting the sucker". It wasn't a big ol' mighty bribe, but it did the job at least for a bit. In the end, he didn't get to eat (do you say lick) the sucker after class because he just didn't continue trying his best, pretty much the only thing we ask of Henry. Does this make me a bad mom? Honestly, I'd say no, it's leaning more towards a Supermom decision I think :)


Henry's vaulting/floor exercise




Henry at the bars - not that kind of bars, silly





2 comments:

Marketing Mama said...

Cool videos! It looks like he enjoys it, even if he was burnt out! I never thought I'd be a bribing Mom either... but I totally am. I like to think of it as "motivational"...

OHmommy said...

Ah, yes. I know bribery all to well! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...