Monday, October 24, 2011

363 and counting

See, age does make you smarter.

It was my birthday on Saturday, and once again, I stopped hinting around that I wanted to be pampered for my birthday and just did it myself. My husband asked 'what do you want for your birthday?' and I easily answered, 'a day off."

And that's just what I did. I scheduled my facial and booked my hotel. I planned my shopping trip and bookmarked my favorite movie theaters.

Here's a few things I learned from my 35th birthday:

-Your kids will make you feel guilty and say things like: "Don't you want to spend your birthday with us?" "I wish we could be together on your birthday." "Don't you love us?" (Ok, they didn't say that last one, but it pretty much felt like it.) Just cover your ears, sing 'la-la-la', shut the door and drive away.

-Facial are nice. They are almost better than massages because you still get a little upper body massage and they pop your pimples for you (except they call it 'extracting areas on your face'.)

-The Mall of America isn't just for tourists, and when I say tourists, it's people that are wearing sweatshirts that say 'worlds best grandma' and are taking pictures of the Sears escalators. The Mall of America has two of my favorite stores in walking distance; hello H&M, hi there, Forever 21. Thank you for not making me feel too old to be shopping there.

-When you check in to a hotel as a single, they will look at you funny, like you are having an affair or something... just go with it, consider it flattery. Take the two cookies and pretend that it's for the 'someone' you will be not meeting up with later.

-Movies are nice too. Especially when you don't have to miss the second half of it when your toddler can't stand sitting in the seats anymore. And did you know that rated R movies sometime swear? Mind blower.

-Four feather pillows on one bed is not at all excessive.

-Waking up and not having to make breakfast for a single soul is near Heaven.

-Did I miss anything... oh yea, you will kinda miss those darn kids until they start screaming at you about not knowing 'where they put their homework' and you can feel guilt-free to start counting down to next year's birthday break.

13 comments:

L. Shanna said...

I absolutely love this. In fact, I'm going to be "hinting" for this next year, for my birthday. P.S. No mention of an uninterrupted glass of wine in all of this? That's kinda my dream.

Shan said...

I have a pal who had a job far enough away from home that she had regular weekend hotel stays. She gave it up to be closer to home... can you *imagine*?!?

Hope your 36th year is your best yet!

Jen Westpfahl said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like it was wonderful.

Marie said...

This post made me giggle...and gave me inspiration! June can't come fast enough.

Happy belated!

Jess said...

I LOVED reading this. I think that this will be my next birthday request as well. Unfortunately, I won't have the MOA to fulfill my retail therapy needs!

Emmy said...

Happy belated birthday! Love that we have birthdays so close. And good for you- you really lived up your free time. I think I would feel weird staying in a hotel myself, but so glad you did it all and loved it.
And yes facials really are heavenly.

Unknown said...

Happy late birthday, love!

And since I was pregnant on my 30th, maybe I can celebrate my 35th in this fashion...

It sounds like absolute heaven. xo

MommyLisa said...

Happy Birthday - wish I could do that!!!

amanda said...

so proud of you. so so so proud of you.

simplicity said...

Love everything about this birthday celebration! Hope you had a lovely day, Beth!!

Heather B said...

oooh, that will SOOO be my next birthday!!! I can taste it already...because yes, that may involve a steak dinner at a fancy shmancy place like Ruth Chris or Donovan's. mmmmmmmm.

please tell me you had something sinfully delish for a dessert??

A Mother's Thoughts said...

Happy belated!! Glad yo enjoyed every single minute of it!!

Lynn

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Happy belated birthday...and I said it before and I'll say it again! Awesome birthday idea. Maybe 35 for me, too?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...