Wednesday, October 26, 2011

fancy

I shouted to Wyatt from the bottom of the stairs 'you have mail!'. Of course, it was just some junk mail, but he didn't care; he did a little eye-squinting smile and grabbed the letter out of my hands. He looked like he was bouncing up the stairs like a jackrabbit until he turned the corner and disappeared out of my vision.

Then I heard him opening the silverware drawer. I turned the corner to see if my ears have deceived me or not.

But no, he's rummaged through the drawer to retrieve a knife. A make-shift letter opener.

Just like his dad does.

I remember once hearing that it's pretty much 50/50; either you rip open your letter with something, or you rip a corner off and drag your finger across the envelope to open it.

You probably guessed, I'm a ripper.

My husband, of course, he's a letter opener kind of a guy.

And here's Wyatt, grabbing a butter knife to open his junk mail envelope. I couldn't believe it.

He's so much like his father.

Until he gets frustrated that he can't stick the knife into the envelope that he tossed the knife on the table and impatiently started to rip the letter open as fast as his fingers would allow him.

Ah, I take that back,

he's much like someone who will remain nameless that might easily get frustrated, may be impatient and definitely doesn't care if her envelopes look like a shark attacked it.


Totally, not me.

And I should insert some sort of fancy poll seeing if you either rip or use a letter opener, but I'm just not that fancy (obviously I'm not fancy... I don't even use letter openers) and I'm lazy, but inquiring minds do want to know.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that he does both! I use an opener at work and rip it to shreds at home. Mostly because the opener stays in the same place all the time at work. If I had one at home, I'm sure some 4 year old would've injured herself with it by now resulting in my throwing it out. Maybe I can blame my total lack of home organization on her...

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

My husband gives me crap for always just pulling my shoes off and never undoing laces and such. Yup, I'm a ripper kind of girl.

Aryn said...

I'm a ripper, of course. We ARE sisters, you know. And I love that little Wu.

4luvandlife said...

I can just see him turn up the intensity when he hears about his mail and I can hear his footsteps as he heads for the kitchen. Love this post.

Heather B said...

I'm one of those that carefully slides an index finger under the flap and works it open that way...why? I don't know. It's not as if I keep the envelope. I guess its one of my OCD ticks. :P

http://mexicanmisfit.blogspot.com/

Steph said...

ripper. my husband on the other hand taps the letter on the table so it falls to one side and then he rips the short edge off and pulls the letter out.

fun birthday post, sounds like an AWESOME day!

Shan said...

I have a letter opener at work that my friend brought me from Africa. Most of my mail there comes in clasp envelopes

I have a few letter openers from my grandparents around here, including one made with their photo as the handle and a silver one that is in the shape of a man. I always thought it was my grandfather, but I doubt it now. Our mail box is across the street and around the corner. I usually have it sorted and read by the time I'm in.

So yeah, ripper.

amanda said...

can i say that i do both. depends on my mood.

that doesn't surprise you though does it?

Stacy Uncorked said...

He's so CUTE! LOVE that shot - the concentration on his part is palpable! :)

I'm a ripper...apparently I don't have the patience to fish out a butter knife or find the one of many letter openers I have somewhere. ;)

I bet Wyatt is the perfect mix of the both of you - that's how Princess Nagger is. Well, she's the perfect mix of both of us, not both of you. You know. ;)

Vibrant - and Goofy - Fall

A Mother's Thoughts said...

Too cute! He is so focused!! i am personally a ripper but a neat side letter openner. I say that because my husband is liek a vulture when he rips a letter open. So yay, that's how we do it here!! lol

Lynn

Liz Mays said...

Shoot, I'm ripping before I even make it back up the driveway!

Emmy said...

Ripper all the way

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'm a ripper, too. Never done the letter opener thing. But, I have regretted the ripping before when I gave myself a papercut!

Jen Westpfahl said...

I do not use a letter opener (or knife) but I manage to get them open without an evidence of shark attacks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...