Wednesday, January 26, 2011

past life

I cleaned out my underwear and sock drawers the other day. You should have seen some of the underwear I recycled, and when I say recycled, I mean I put them in a garbage bag, put them out on the curb marked for recycling. Honestly, I'm not sure what they exactly do with it, but I do know that we currently have the smallest garbage can option out there (yes, even with a sometimes family of 7!) and we recycle anything we possibly can.

Alright, back to the underwear. Well, actually I really don't have a lot to write about it. Some were full of holes and embarrassing and no, I didn't take any pictures of them.

Moving on.

My sock drawer contained like 29 pairs of nylons. I never wear nylons, but way back when, I use to work as a buyer for a little Iowa company called Von Maur. At Von Maur, you were required, if you were female, to wear a skirt and nylons to work, every day. (Feminist, don't get all mad at me over not 'fighting the man' and Von Maur, don't decide to sue or something, because it's true... and I couldn't have water or pictures or anything on my desk either.) Needless to say, I dumped the nylons.

But in the back of the drawer, what did I find, but a pair of socks.

Not just any socks, but socks with the word CHEER printed on them. Socks that made it through four, if not not more, moves from three different states. Socks that I got when I was in high school.


High school, people!

I'm talking about bring them with me to the dorms, my college apartment(s), my single life apartment(s) and then the three places I lived with my husband.

And what's the weirdest part, I was mostly stunned by how white they still were.

I mean, they were really, really white.

How did my mom do that?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Its amazing how your thought process changes over the years, huh? 3 years ago I'd have been thinking "Ew! She kept socks that long?" Now I'm right with you: "How *did* her mom do that?"

Aryn said...

I don't think Mom did that... I just think you rarely wore them. But you should wear them now. Just think how peppy you would feel!

Jenn said...

YES!!!!!! RAH! RAH! RAH! I just threw away my "CHEER" shirt from NCA camp the other week! LOL! (And I will never get how some people can keep whites SO white! Jealous!)

Elly said...

So... will you wear them to the grocery store or what?! Or maybe in bed with hubby, with some pigtails and pom poms? You would get a kick out of my sock drawer. Maybe we can have a party. I collect sock guy socks that have sayings on them, mostly for cycling, but I do wear the dark ones to work. They say, evil, bitch, meow, bad kitty, etc. You get the picture. But I have no intention of recycling them. On a positive note, I grew out of my normal underwear and invested just today in stretchy microfiber comfy pregnant mommy underwear. Something about new underwear is soooo wonderful.

amanda said...

dude i have my skirt and my shell.

next get together cheerleading style?

Emmy said...

Holy cow they are still white! Funny the things we hang onto.

Shan said...

I was wondering the same thing! Only I figured it must have been you keeping them so white. Unless your mom still does your laundry. In which case, can I borrow her?

Murdock's mama said...

You are hilarious! I was a cheerleader a hundred years ago too...but seriously I got rid of my socks 99 years ago!
btw...had no idea you were a buyer for Von Maur...I love that sure!!!

Caution/Lisa said...

I restarted my underwear collection last summer and it felt so wrong! BUT every time I look in my underwear drawer now, I smile :)

citymouse said...

I still have a pair of pink Chuck Taylors from high school tucked away in the closet. (Which has been considerably a few years longer than your socks, I'm afraid.) The darn things don't even fit me anymore (yes, 5 kids will in fact make your feet grow another size) but I still keep them for some unknown reason.

Mrs. M said...

Keep those socks!! :)

dahozho said...

Ok, sigh, now I feel old. I still say "Petersen Harned Von Maur." I went to school with some of the Von Maur kids. I still can't just say "Von Maur"-- usually its Petersen's.

Yeah, its been a loooong time since I lived in Iowa....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...