Tuesday, January 4, 2011

69 is a funny number

It was the eve of Christmas Eve. I sat across the table from two friends, moms with older children. I squeezed my eyes shut hoping that what they were telling me was wrong. "Yep, he stopped believing when he was about 7 years old." "Mine was 6" said the other. My Henry is almost 7. I shut my eyes again thinking about him on the edge of his seat on the couch watching the Santa Claus movie engrossed with everything about the North Pole.

He hadn't asked me anything yet.

He just quietly believes in Santa Claus.

But I decided I needed to prepare myself for questions like:

How does he fit down the chimney?
How does he get around the world in one night?
Why can't I be awake and see him?

You get more point.

Christmas came and Henry received yet another gift from my sister, remember the stop sign from the previous year:


He's added to his collection this year:


With all the possible questions Henry might have had regarding Christmas, I wasn't quiet ready when Henry kept asking "why are all the grown ups laughing?". I was completely not prepared (or willing to within the next 12 years or so) to explain that one.

All I kept saying was "some adults think 69 is a funny number."

Ugh.

Compared to this, I'm so ready to handle Santa Claus stuff next year.


*


(FYI - my sister works for a transportation department, apparently Mile 69 (for some strange reason) repeatedly gets stolen. This is a duplicate recovered. I was not involved in any smuggling of any Mile 69 signs, thankyouverymuch.)

*

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my blogging friends. I know I've been out for a while, thanks for visiting. I promise to do same soon.

13 comments:

Evonne said...

I love the sign, but that's not something I'd be prepared to explain to a kid either!

My oldest is 9 and still believes. She said a few things this year that made me question that, but in general I think she's still holding onto believing in Santa.

Murdock's mama said...

haha...I this is great! I used to have some construction cones...however, they were NOT from the transportation department! :)

Liz Mays said...

That is too funny, and I'm glad you got away without explaining why it's funny!

Mnmom said...

Oooh that's a challenge and a half, isn't it? And when he finds out, what will he have to say?

My twins had it all figured out by 5, yes 5. The Easter Bunny, Santa, the Toothy Fairy, the whole 9 yards.

Picked up the latest copy of Inspire(d) last week!

Unknown said...

I'm still not totally for sure we're going to push the Santa-thing with Eli. I had so many friends who were either completely devastated or disgusted with their parents when they found out the truth - I don't know if I want to go through that.
But I would way rather deal with Santa issues than explain 69...What a nightmare.

MommyLisa said...

We were at Bingo with Boo Boo La La on Saturday in Pequot Lakes. When the caller yelled O 69 all the patrons HOOTED AND HOLLERED and WHOOPED! Yeah, I hate explaining that 69 is just funny. :P

amanda said...

hubs and i can't stop laughing.

poor henry.

i can only imagine the giggles that will be heard when this picture is revisited at a later date...

LutherLiz said...

Love it!

Our college exit was on Exit 69. I suspect it got stolen a lot too.

Mnmom said...

Just tonight remembered that I live off exit 69 on I35! Bet I know where she got the sign.

Shan said...

Oh man, yeah. Santa will be easy peasy after that one, LOL.

Emmy said...

Lol! Yeah that will be much harder. Lucas was starting to ask questions until he watched the Santa Claus, it answered the questions for him.

Rebecca said...

When he's older and figures it out, he'll be mortified remembering the family discussions occurring around him.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

There is an interstate 69 in Texas. I've seen a couple of those signs "lost."

Favorite that somebody I know has in their house "Saddlebred" as a street name.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...