Wednesday, January 19, 2011

taxi cab confessions

I'm not sure how I managed to get stuck in our own (snowplowed) driveway, but I did. I rocked the minivan back from drive to reverse so many time you could smell the rubber from the tires and Henry asked if he 'was going to die from carbon ponoxide poisoning'. I rolled my eyes to the ceiling and muttered "no, you are not going to die".

I ran up to the garage to get the shovel and scoop our way out of the snow 'drift'. Two cars pulled around behind me, neither of them stopping to help. I imagine because they were thinking 'what kind of idiot manages to get stuck in her own driveway'. The kind that manages to get 5 kids in a van and on time for school(s), thank you very much.

So, with a little sweat (OK, a lot of sweat going on under the down jacket) I managed to get the van unstuck and us finally on our way.

Normally, when I have all five kids with me I beg some complete stranger to take Wyatt up to his classroom so I don't have to unbuckle everyone (teasing... I'm vaguely familiar with most of the preschool moms). Today, with the driveway debacle, we were already late, so everyone had to get out of the car to bring Wyatt into school.

I'm almost literally dragging one boy, holding Edy and her car seat with the other hand. I assigned Henry to hold hands with the other boy I watch. Together, we start racing towards to front door, or so I thought.

Henry starts shouting behind me... 'Wyatt's not coming. Wyatt's NOT coming."

In my head, I'm thinking 'that little shit'. 'I'm hurrying to get *you* to school'.

I turn the team around, my mad face on and ready to pounce.

"Wyatt, get going NOW!"

"Wyatt, why are you not going? HURRY IT UP!"

He looks at me, eyes big as saucers and says nothing.

I scream "Wyatt!"

That's when I noticed it...

the edge of his hood stuck inside the door of the minivan,

his little feet moving forward and going nowhere, his arms trying to give him momentum.

"I can't go, Mom".

I contemplated leaving him like that for just a minute.

Getting his hood stuck in the door would have totally been something my (bossy) Wyatt would do.

He *could* have done it on purpose,
right?

14 comments:

Aryn said...

Hahahaha! I love it. I can just picture the little dude, trying so hard to move forward.

MommyLisa said...

That image - I love it!

Murdock's mama said...

You describe these moments PERFECTLY...love it!

Mandy said...

hahahaha Sounds like my life. :)

amanda said...

as lilly always says..."i just can't stop laughing"

seriously honey i can sooo picture it. and it just makes me laugh even harder!!

Emmy said...

Oh if only you would have snapped a picture :). Poor kid, too funny!

Jenni (the neighbor)! said...

OMG! That is so funny Beth! I've totally had days like that. I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

Shan said...

Oh man. I'm starting to do that stupid laugh that means this is really funny, but also that I should have been in bed two hours ago. Probably drool involved. Thanks.

@ly said...

Your determination to get all the kids to school is what got your van "unstuck". LOL.

Liz Mays said...

I am visualizing it like a cartoon! Hahaha

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

That's both hilarious and sad - poor Wyatt!

Mrs. M said...

Oh no!!! Hope your day got MUCH better after that start!! :)

Baek Family said...

Seriously... you crack me up. Thanks for the laugh!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Okay...I want to tell you I'm not laughing...but I totally am.

I would be the one that gets her car stuck in the driveway...and the hood stuck in the door? It's just too much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...