Thursday, December 1, 2011

real moms use Spam

The boys were each standing on their chairs in the kitchen, ready to use the handheld mixer, a big ol' treat for them since I rarely bake anything (or that I don't let them help me in the kitchen, because we all know that it's not really 'help' when it takes 23 minutes longer to do anything in the kitchen with them).

I told them, "hold on, there's one more ingredient I need to add", as I reached over them to grab the Spam hiding behind the big bowl. "Wow, what's that?" Obviously, they are intrigued by this canned ham, just like 99% of the world is.

I reply, "it's Spam." Though it's not really Spam, it's a generic Spam, but I figured, does it really matter, canned ham is canned ham.

Then both boys simultaneously plug their noses and yell at me when I crack open the can "what's that smell?"

"It's the Spam... it will smell better once we mix it in with the other stuff".

Doubtful, they hold their shirt's sleeves to their noses and try to negotiate the mixer at the same time.

Henry has more questions about this canned ham as Wyatt takes a turn. "Why do people eat Spam if it smells so bad?"

"Well," I reply, "most people I know don't actually eat Spam. I don't even think I've ever eaten it by itself. I promise you though, it will be delicious once it's mixed up with this other stuff and baked."

Henry continues on "I don't understand, if people don't like to eat it and it smells bad, why are we using it in this recipe?"

I close my eyes and tried to think of something to end this (already way too long) conversation about Spam. I already knew he wouldn't be touching this cheese fondue thingy already, ever. "It's a mystery, Buddy. That's probably why some people call Spam mystery meat."

"It's really called a mystery, that's so cool! I'm good a solving mysteries. Can we solve this Spam mystery?"


Oh, for the love of God.

9 comments:

Marie said...

I'm falling off my chair laughing here.

First of all, Murray LOVES to help in the kitchen, and he too, stands on a chair. Maybe I should buy a step stool?

Me, baking? A rare occurance! I can't even make brownies from a box. I don't bake. I cook. Sometimes, every now and then, my cooking works. But not usually.

I'd love your spam recipe. That is, if it's easy.

Both boys make me giggle, in this case, I'm laughing because Henry is so logical. Smartie pants! :)

Thanks for my Friday morning laugh. I needed it today! :)

Aryn said...

Hahaha! Please tell me what you were baking! Some sort of spam and cheese biscuits or something?

4luvandlife said...

Can we solve this Spam mystery??

Shan said...

I'm with your boys on this... right up to solving the mystery. I avoid anything labeled "meat" anyway. *shudder*

(I'm curious to know how it tasted, but not enough to really want to know.)

Stephanie said...

Bwhahaha Oh aren't you glad you let them help now?

amanda said...

when we come next summer i want whatever you are making. please. bc dude i have never actually eaten spam. and i am pretty sure i would love it!!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

The fact that the mystery is still unsolved over all these years is concerning.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

If being a cooking with Spam momma (or the generic) makes me a real mom, then I don't know if I want to be one. I just can't even stand the idea of it!

And, cooking with the girls...it's great if you like a little egg shell in your food.

Emmy said...

Lol! Nope I don't think anyone can solve the spam mystery. Too funny

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...