Thursday, December 15, 2011

just missed

10 days until Christmas. I look at Edy and think about where she was a year ago. She was not the giggling, pointing, following the lead of her brothers for everything that she is now.

This is how she was the last time my sister saw her. One year ago.


My sister's coming home. From Afghanistan. From her second tour of duty. Just a few weeks after Christmas.

She'll just miss it.

So much of me wants to be shocked, that she's released early. That she'll walk through that door, smiling, a white Russian in her hand, announcing 'Surprise!'... we wish it with every bone in our bodies.

Just looking at my daughter, I can see how much she has missed. It's so tangible in this picture. It makes me feel down far in my gut how much she's missed in her own family; her daughter, her son, her husband.

I'm counting down the days. 10 days until Christmas. A few more days and she'll be home, but right now...she's just missed.

Joining Just Write this week

9 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I can only imagine how much of a blessing this is to the whole family. I'm so happy that she'll be home, and now you can make up for lost time spending lots of time together. Wonderful news. :)

L. Shanna said...

She is amazing! You all will enjoy making up for lost time when she gets home.

Aryn said...

That's very sweet - and gets me excited that it'll be less than a month 'til we get to see her! Amazing! We'll miss her at Christmas, but maybe we can plan something special for her...

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I can't even imagine. I'm glad she's headed home soon...and then she's done, right?

Marie said...

Oh, Beth, this made me cry. I am looking forward to hearing of her safe arrival. I'll bet she'll spends lots of time giggling and cuddling with her neice and nephews.

Please tell her how grateful I for her service, and relay how proud we are of her and her fellow troops.

In the meantime, start perfecting your white russian.

Thinking of you!
MM

amanda said...

so so glad she is almost home friend. it's going to be such a special start to the new year!

ps - and oh my goodness where did our babies go??

Galit Breen said...

My heart goes out to you for the just misses, and of course- it soars for the so very soons!

Emmy said...

Oh I wish she could be home sooner! So grateful she was willing to serve. I saw a video of Ryder from Christmas last year and the change floored me- you really do forget

Shan said...

I've been wondering about your sister. I'm sorry she'll just miss Christmas. Maybe you can do like we do for Thanksgiving and hold it when it works best for her.

I remember the aching anticipation when my brother was coming home from the Gulf War. And how it took so long to find him that ridiculously small airport in Honolulu that I walked around blubbering until I finally saw him. And probably after that, too. Wishing you and yours many happy tears for this Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...