Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the toddler tree

I've officially let go of need to have a nice Christmas tree.

Case in point, this is our tree. (Just keeping it real here, folks)


I call it the Charlie Brown tree, but no matter how many times I've sang off key to it, it hasn't magically turned into this beautiful spectacle of Christmas or any emblem of all things beautiful this holiday season.

Dang it.

Please note:
1- The bottom row of lights is no longer on because one of the three toddlers pulled out a bulb, and they don't really make strings of lights that you can easily replace a bulb and it re-light (now, *that* would be magic).

2- All breakable ornaments are hanging higher than 4 feet. Anything that can be manhandled can remain lower. Notice that it's not an equal ratio.

3- There is one, maybe two candy canes left on the tree because my little girl thinks they are toys. She grabs one, breaks the hook off and hands it to me. She then puts part of it in her mouth, only to scream at me for letting her put such a pepperminty hot thing in her mouth. She proceeds to give me the look of death.

4- Presents with tags have been ripped off, placed on other presents, stuck to the television screen, stuck into each other's hair. Tags have been placed anywhere but back on the present from which they came from.

5- The tree skirt has been pulled out so many times, that just want to throw the darn thing away. Edy thinks that anything that is soft and fuzzy is a blanket to her. Try giving her an actual blanket, and she thinks I'm crazy. Her BFF is her pajamas, or her coat, or her spaghetti stained shirt. (see, she's the weirdo)

It's like owning cats, and having to keep them away from my tree.

Who am I kidding, it's not my tree, it belongs to those toddlers.
(selfish little things)

Like I was saying... just like cats.

8 comments:

Emmy said...

Amazingly Ryder has been doing a great job with the tree. Though we did just decorate the upper half of it.

KristinFilut said...

Oh Beth... I can honestly say, I don't miss those days.

P.S. I do like your tree. I've always dug an underdog.

amanda said...

this is why my girls each have a mini tree in their rooms. and why there are a total of six trees up in my house.

that doesn't surprise you does it?

didn't think so :)

Galit Breen said...

Hee! It's lovely- in the bestest, most toddlerest way possible! Love!

Marie said...

We had your tree's twin last year, but that was due to my husband picking out the worst tree he could find.

Thanks for the Wednesday morning laugh!

-MM

Liz Mays said...

You sure do have your hands full, don't you? I quite like your child-friendly Charlie Brown tree. :)

Shan said...

Must be something about those August '10 girls. Fynn's best friend was Mad's panties. I think she's over it, but Mad isn't taking any chances, so it's hard to say for sure.

Your tree looks way better than ours. (Full disclosure, we still haven't gotten a tree. Was supposed to happen tonight, but Tom is leaving a little late and, oh by the way, someone's tanker truck blew up on a freeway near him, so we'll probably see him in time for bedtime stories. So... your tree looks way better than our toy and crayon wrapper-covered front room. And that's the truth.)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Pretty sure you've seen our sad, pathetic excuse for a tree...but the fact that the kids love it and think it's the best? All that matters.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...