Tuesday, November 23, 2010

for the love of squishy

We were heading into Barnes and Noble to get a gender neutral book for a birthday party of Henry's this weekend (which, by the way, I love the idea of exchanging books instead of presents and in lieu of plastic crap favors, but lucky him, he still brought home some crap sunglasses and a spinning thing along with his hardback copy of How to Train Your Dragon.)

I digress.

Like I said, we were heading towards the door, gearing up for the crunch of getting three bodies, one of them being in a stroller, into the doorway simultaneously (because that's what always happens, every. single. time.). A woman grabbed the door for us foreseeing the upcoming body bruises. Of course, being like every other mother in the universe, she had to peek into the stroller to see just who was inside.

"Oh, you have a little girl there" she cooed, "How old is she?"

"Three months" I reply.

She continues "I have three girls myself; 15, 11 and 9. They are really special girls and so sweet... getting bigger so quickly, but I really miss them being little, being a baby like you have there. Three months... what a wonderful age."

I looked down at Edy and said "Yes, I love her. She's so squishy."

Wait.
What did I just say?
After the sentimental words, near tears in her eyes of this woman talking about her once little babies, did I say some genius thing in reply like "she's so squishy".


Umm... yes I did.

I looked at her sideways hoping that perhaps she didn't hear just what I had said.

She gives me a little smile and a 'yea'.

Pretty certain she heard me...

Dang it.
(Note to self, I must work on more appropriate replies to when people tell me about how they 'miss having babies'.)

22 comments:

Liz Mays said...

That is a hilarious response but then when I saw the picture I thought, by golly, she IS squishy!

Hyacynth said...

But she IS so squishy!! Perfect response, in my opinion. :)

Murdock's mama said...

Hahaha! I needed this...thanks!

Also...thanks for checking up on me! Oh yea...this girl is ready for Black Friday! My sister is flying back from Florida early to take part in our tradition! :)

Have fun!

Aryn said...

What's the acronym? ROFLMAO? I guess I'm not REALLY on the floor...but I am certainly laughing. A lot. And out loud.
"Yes. I love her. She's so squishy."
Hahahaha.
So funny.

KristinFilut said...

That's so funny! Squishy was the nickname I gave to my BFF's 2nd youngest when he was Edy's size. I still call him my Squish, but as a 4th grader, he doesn't find it amusing any more.

OHmommy said...

So funny and SO cute. I love that squishy-ness of a baby.

Tyne said...

You, my friend, are hilarious! And she is squishy, perfect, plump and precious! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Unknown said...

What a cutie!

I just dropped by from SITS to say hello; I hope you have time to do the same.

Melissa B. said...

Goodness...you've got the great comeback! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Home Alone

Unknown said...

I'm filing that one away to use on people I want to send packing after my little girl gets here. I'm can think if a few it would work on like a charm. At least you're inspiring others.

Aryn said...

I can't stop looking at her cute squishy face.

Emmy said...

Yes-ditto to what blueviolet said. She really is so cute and squishy

Laural Out Loud said...

Babies ARE squishy! I think it sums up everything that they are perfectly.

Mnmom said...

Judging by that pic she's wonderfully squishy! I always thought mine smelled good - I smelled them every chance I got.

What sick overachieving Mom came up with the idea of goodie bags at birthday parties? I gave them cake, ice cream and fun. Why isn't that enough?

Shan said...

Love that face! Hate it when words escape me, too, lol

Amelia Sprout said...

I think it is a perfect response, it is so true. They are so snugglable and squishy at that age. I miss it when I am getting jabbed by a three year old elbow.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I love the squishiness...it's adorable. I think it was perfect.

Mrs. M said...

No, I'm pretty sure you nailed it! :)

Unknown said...

I actually think it's a PERFECT reply and oh my, that baby of yours IS squishy!! And did you ALREADY have that baby??? I mean, I met you less than one year ago and well, now you have a BABY!?? You grew a BABY in that time???

Amazing.

Stopping by after a LONG break from making my rounds....

Happy Thanksgiving and congrats on that squishy kid. :-)

Lee

Karen Bannan @ NaturalAsPossibleMom said...

Kids ARE squishy. Mine are 2 and 7. Still squishy. Although I do agree that the tiny ones are the most squishy.

BTW: Right there with you on the whole crap favors/gifts thing. I recently had to come up with something to give out to my Big Girl's class on her birthday. I did books. Scholastic sells large box sets for like $24 for 25 books. Perfect! Blogged about it, of course. I'm hoping some of the other parents catch on. (My daughter's school banned cupcakes so we have to give out favors instead. Sheesh.)

Rebecca said...

Can I kiss those cheeks? They look so squishy and wonderful. Oh, wait. Did I just type that? Did I just say that I want to kiss your squishy baby? That's so weird. Sorry to be so creepy.

amanda said...

i think squishy is perfectly delightful :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...