Monday, March 1, 2010

Dearest Neighbor

Dearest Neighbor from across the street,

Can you believe that it's March 1st? Amazing isn't it! It feels like Spring is finally closer and the weather this weekend, mid-30's, how fabulous does that feel? (And any of you readers from Texas, do *not* make fun of 30 degrees, we Minnesotans have a skewed sense of 'warm' weather; we have to to survive it).

Perhaps you didn't know that it was March now though, I'm not really sure. The Christmas lights that you have hanging from your house might indicate that you might not.

Honestly, I feel like I've given you lots of leniency; telling myself that it's been cold, the lights aren't that bad after all they are just white icicle light and I even try to reminded myself how people get busy with kids, jobs, pets...

Then I remember that you are young and single, with two other adult roommates with (might I add) burly boyfriends, that you don't have kids' noses to wipe or dogs' poop to scoop up and that it was 30-something freakin' degrees this past weekend.

Adding insult to injury, you turn them on! You come home in the evening and for whatever reason, decide plugging your Christmas lights in makes perfect sense.

I'm begging you, pleading to you, please take them down soon. Don't drive me to eye twitches and random obscene hand gestures with your lights glowing through my picture window as I sit on my living room couch watching the twinkle push me closer and closer to the edge of sanity,

my kids already do a good enough job with that.

Sincerely,
Anti-Supermom

PS - please don't feel like I'm picking on you, I also have a letter written to our other neighbor who lets their dog out their front door and allows him to poop in our yard all. Winter. long.

20 comments:

Liz Mays said...

The turning on of the lights would test my patience to its limits too!!!!!

Vanessa said...

I may need to borrow this letter. There must be a house like this everywhere!

Miss Lisa said...

LOL--but if the lights are green, maybe they are celebrating St.Patrick's day, then Easter, then the 4th, then Halloween, then, well then they just keep them up for Christmas ;)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Guess we should go turn ours off. Nah...kidding, but we have some neighbors with them still up.

And, what? You don't like poop-sicles?

Emmy said...

Yes, March is way too long for lights to be up let alone being turned on! That is just crazy

Morris said...

Ahhhh, the joys of suburbia!...
:)

amanda said...

uhm for the record our garland is still up - but only bc it's still frozen to the rails and we can't get it off. and also - we don't turn on the lights.

praying for sunshine.

Melinda said...

Hopefully your neighbors do not have the Christmas lights that also play Christmas carols (and blink to the beat or the songs). We have neighbors like that--luckily the HOA forces them to take down their lights by January 2nd. Unfortunately, the HOA allows them to put up their Valentine's Day lights on January 14.

Mnmom said...

For a second I thought maybe you live across the street from ME! Ours are still in the little pine trees and wrapped around the deck, but not ever on. I blame it on the Minnesota cold, the snow, and my husband nearly sawing his thumb off last week. But I'm running out of excuses.

Shan said...

There was a house in our neighborhood (well, really in the next one so I don't have to claim them *phew*) that was covered top to bottom in blue lights. And not all the same shade, either. Random sections were a slightly greenish-blue. We thought it was bad enough that their lights stayed on until the start of February.

Corine (@ComplicatedMama) said...

This is a pet peeve of mine also!! .... leaving them up is one thing--- turning them on takes it to a whole new level of unacceptable neighbor behavior!

Anonymous said...

We have neighbors that still have their lights up. It's ridiculous. Luckily they aren't on our street. We do have people on our street that don't bring in their trash bin from the curb until like two or three days after the pickup. It's not hard to wheel it into your garage. Seriously. Fuckers.

Caution/Lisa said...

I was so worried that we were neighbors, but we don't plug our lights in. Off the hook!! Yay.

But the guy with the dog? Mail that letter!

Anonymous said...

What is it with weird neighbors? We have a recluse living on one side of us and an older couple on the other side of us that are constantly doing home upgrades. Landscaping, hard wood floor refinishing, new fence....it's constantly a construction site and SO LOUD! The for sale sign up in OUR YARD says it all....visiting from SITSgirls :)

Stephanie
www.momreviewtb.com

Cheryl said...

Visiting from SITS - love your blog!

So you know their lights are on a timer, right? That way they can go on even when THEYRE NOT HOME!

We have an association here in SoCal. They write those nasty letters if you have your lights up in January. Or if you have a dime-sized patch of brown grass in your front yard.

MollyinMinn said...

Yes, I am ready for the bucking lit reindeer across the street from us to hibernate until next year.

Huge pet peeve here, too!

Mrs. M said...

We drove by a house today and Hannah goes "mom, why do they still have their Valentine's Day lights up? It's almost Easter!!?". So I imagine she could open a can of whoop-bottom on your neighbors for you! :)

Allison said...

Okay, it's one thing to just have the lights on the house but to actually turn them on in March??? That's craziness!

Vashey Fam said...

This is too hilarious! I hate that...so tacky.....but I can't complain. I'm afraid we'll be getting notes soon about our mossy front yard. We have the ugliest yard in the neighborhood. It's green but in the wrong sort of way. I don't think any of my neighbors have an almost three yr old and a 4mo baby to contend with, though!

Tam and John said...

A.M.E.N.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...