Thursday, February 25, 2010

double dipping

I have to admit I'm doing something I didn't think I would do, because the hippie, granola type girl gene pretty much skipped me, but I'm doing 'group' prenatal appointments. They like to call Centering Pregnancy.

My husband likes to joke that it's the future of universal health care, where women lie side by side, legs spread wide, as the midwife scoots down the line in her rolling chair, checking every one's cervix in 5 minutes flat.

Not really.

I chose Centering Pregnancy because it meets on Saturday mornings, meaning my husband doesn't have to take off any work nor do I have to take my children to OB appointments, which yes, I have had to do.

Turns out kids remember.

A few months after mine, at Henry's well check appointment, he breaks into sobs as the doctor tells him to get dressed into a gown because he was worried they were going to 'poke something in his butt'. So, I try to avoid having to take my kids to OB appointments. Lesson learned.

Honestly, I thought it would be cool to meet other pregnant women who are due around the same time for some monthly mommy talk. They also told me that there would be snacks in Centering Pregnancy and well, who can say no to snacks at any OB appointment that won't be tagged onto your medical bill?

Only the snacks were served in a clear plastic tote labeled 'Mini Pads'.

So, some of the things I enjoy about this group OB care thing are:

-I get to take my own blood pressure and weight, meaning I can cheat and write down something better than the 1lb. per week corresponding to the number of weeks I am, in my medical chart.
-The 'OB table' isn't a table at all, but a cot, in the corner of the room, where everyone can get the scoop on your lady business.
-I was going to be the most experienced pregnant person in the room with three deliveries under my belt, until I was shown up by the midwife assistant who has 6 kids and is a single mom, now I'm just a slacker.
-The clinic is remodeled from a former grocery store where they haven't yet taken off some of the sticker on the sliding glass doors, one of them saying 'we accept food stamps'.

Gosh, now that I know they accept food stamps for labor and delivery, I'm wondering if the hospital will also take coupons?

Double coupons, anyone?

26 comments:

thatgirlblogs said...

your poor traumatized child, LOL

Melinda said...

Aren't kids' memories amazing?

By the way, I'm an avid reader of your blog, but I think this is the first time I've actually commented. I wanted to let you know that I passed an award onto you last night on my blog.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear more about it--I wish they had that here!

Heidi said...

Your title is hilarious!!!!!
Yikes! I'm not so sure that I could do that, you are a much braver woman than I am.
Your poor little boy! Hopefully that is one memory that will fade with time.
If not he probably won't ever become a proctologist. :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, that does sound traumatizing..but a little funny.

I've never heard of appointments like that. But your hubby's comment was priceless. I have a feeling that is how military birthing centers used to be.

Mandy said...

whoa...wait a minute...you're pregnant?!?! ACK!! How the hee haw did I miss that!?!? Oh my stars! I am so happy for you!

That'll teach me not to read my favorite blogs via iPhone at 3am while nursing.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!

That sounds really....scary.

amanda said...

i just can't wrap my head around this??

Vanessa said...

Does everyone take turns laying on the cot? How does this work? Was your husband's idea closer to the truth?! :-D

MollyinMinn said...

I have never heard of this concept before. Interesting.

But the story about your son made me laugh out loud.

Tam and John said...

Now you're a slacker. LMAO!!!!!

Mrs. M said...

Wouldn't it be great if they really did take coupons? Like 50% off ones!! :)

Rebecca said...

You are the firt person I know particiating in a program like this. The model is getting rave reviews all around, so I'm excited to hear more about your thoughts.

Incidently, Bel came to all my prenatal visits last pregnancy when she was two, and both kids attend them with this pregnancy. Given my care providers, the visits really aren't anything like your standard OB appointments. The kids look at education tools showing how big the baby is at certain stages, they get to ask the midwives all kinds of questions about pregnancy and the baby in my tummy, they get snacks, and there is a shelf full of toys so that most often, they forget anyone else is there.

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

My first thought is definitely a bonding moment with the others in your group... but if both the time and the format work for you then go for it!

Stopping by from SITS and totally into anything that takes coupons :)

Capital Mom said...

If only you could grab an ice cream from the freezer during your class. That would be good.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Haha! This was such a great, hilarious post, once again! Do me a favor, PLEASE let me know if they accept coupons. You know, every little bit helps!!

Shan said...

That's a *fabulous* idea (aside from the sharing your lady business part... *shudder*). I've never heard of it before. I'm about 68% granola (I have my limits!) and this is exactly the sort of thing I'd love.

The idea of you being a slacker cracked me up... and reminded me of something I'll work on for my next post. I'll title it "Slacker" just for you. :+)

And poor Henry (I'm trying to keep a straight face here). Mad doesn't get to go to our appointments because she's usually napping at Gwamma's when I have them. Not feeling to badly for her now, haha.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that you were pregnant! I've been MIA for awhile! CONGRATS!

Emmy said...

That sounds like quite the group :) Too funny. Imagine if the hospital took coupons! Wouldn't that be nice.

hidden said...

Are you sure this place is legit? Sounds fishy to me like a guy in a parking lot offing free breast exams...

Hyacynth said...

Love the visual your hubby painted of the group check ups! lol!
I think it is awesome that you get to be so involved in your check ups. Doesn't it kind of feel empowering? Loved that about having a midwife.
Do you feel like you get enough personalized attention?

Wisconsin Parent said...

You should totally get a discount for doing your own stuff. Maybe you could bring your own sheets and save on that too. :-) That sounds fun and you'll have those ladies for friends too! Fun!

darcie said...

I love that you posted this - I work in health care and the clinic where I work is doing 'group practice' or at least trying to - for things such as diabetes and depression - but um, not ob...at least not yet!
I'll be interested in hearing more!
Hope you are feeling ok!

Unknown said...

I've had to take my kids w/ me to the doctor before, but never to the gynocologist! OMG! You are brave.

This sounds so interesting to me!

Unknown said...

Okay.

Where have I been?

How did I seem to miss the fact that you are pregnant????

Am I insane?

I'm so embarrassed to admit this but I had no idea!!!

I'm sooooo happy for you!!!

But this group cot business?? Not sure I could do it.

:-)

Can't wait to follow along this journey!!!

Recovering Procrastinator said...

I've never heard of this concept. Very interesting. I hope you share more about what you think of it as the pregnancy progresses.

Both my kids came to all my OB appointments until we got to the checking the cervix stage. Grace actually cried when I stopped taking her b/c she loved monitoring the heartbeat. (my midwife let her squirt the gel and hold the doppler)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...