Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the 'needs to know' list

I was pulling the wagon behind him as I watched him ride his brother's scooter on the way to the park; his head was down in determination, his helmet on slightly crooked, pretty sure he had his tongue sticking out (because.. I don't know, he's like a dog and likes to feel the breeze perhaps). I was thinking 'when did he get so fast on that thing?'

He stopped at the curb to look for cars and told me 'there are new friends at the park, I'm going to be shy'. Which he wasn't, of course.

He climbed up the rock climbing wall faster with each try, knowing that Winter had made you a little rusty, but you continued up the wall and down the slide, repeat over and over.

Your figure even looks all boy, no longer in diapers, you are missing that everyday diaper sag. You are tall and thin, just like your Dad (though he prefers to call it an athletic build).

Then we go to the gym, where you and your brother peel off your shoes and jackets and slam the door in my face without looking behind you. You will probably chase after kids (watch tv), play dolls with the girls (watch more tv) and play hide-n-seek with the big kids (and dang it, you watch more tv: why do they have that stupid thing on all day, don't they know by nature kids will watch a tv that's on no matter what is on).

I picked you up where the babysitter tells me you wanted to know if she had candy in her mouth and she told you 'it's like an earring for my tongue'. You looked at her in all the seriousness that you can muster at 2 years old and tell her 'I'm going to get one of those for my Mommy's birthday'.

I hadn't really planned on you knowing what a tongue ring was this young in life. Thank you.

Just one more thing to check off that 'needs to know' list.

19 comments:

Murdock's mama said...

As usual...too funny! Don't you just hate all the nasty things they pick up way too young?! Drives me crazy! Makes for great stories though! :)

Have a great night!
Abby

amanda said...

love it.

and love that the blogging bug appears to have returned :)

Yankee Girl said...

That is the cutest pouty face I have ever seen!

Heidi said...

I love that he wanted to get you one for your birthday! Just what you wanted right.
I remember once when my then 16 year old sister taught my oldest the song "your my dirty little secret" She ran around everywhere singing it. Yeah, my husband was a little unhappy. Teenagers shouldn't be allowed to have an influence on young children!!!!
Great story! And so happy that he's past the diaper stage. Isn't it wonderful!?

Shelly - Tropical Mum said...

Too funny. They lose their innocence all too quickly. At least you have a few years to wait until he wants to have one of those for himself.

Shelly

Shan said...

I love his expression... sort of concerned, sort of puzzled.

Unknown said...

oh my. a tongue ring. That's one thing we haven't gotten to just yet. YIKES!!!
;-)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Look at that handsome little man.

My sister has tattoos...something I didn't want my kids to know about for a while...or forever.

Caution/Lisa said...

Let us know how that birthday tongue piercing works out for you! He is absolutely darling :)

Emmy said...

Well at least he is going to get it for you :)

Love how he said he was going to be shy, too cute.

4luvandlife said...

When I was trying a new suit on the other day the suit salesman said I had an athletic build. If a suit salesman says it then it's official.

Love the story and pic too.

tori said...

I love how he plans ahead to be shy, and the way you told this story. wonderful! (the picture is awesome too!)

Babes Mami said...

Love that face!

MollyinMinn said...

Ah, the things we don't expect and don't really want to explain. Great story.

But at least you know he likes her and likes you enough to want you to have what she does ;)

Vanessa said...

Great picture! So far, my 6-year-old doesn't want to get her ears pierced but I'm just waiting until she tells me ALL her friends are getting their noses pierced. You know, next year when she's in the 1st grade.

MamaOtwins+1 said...

I love that he thought of you - even if it was to get you a tongue ring.

Mrs. M said...

Let me know how you like the ring - or NOT! :)

Carma Sez said...

he looks awfully fierce in that photo!

Melissa said...

hi, please add my blog! I just started a mom and giveaways and reviews site, i am trying to get sponsors and giveaways for my site, but most sponsors tell me I need more members! So please add my blog, snickersncream.blogspot.com/
thanks! :) I will have giveaways within the week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...