Thursday, October 23, 2008

Works-For-Me Wednesday

A day late, but you know I'm not a rule follower when it comes to that kind of stuff. I've never participated but well; I'm short on time this week, my computer got caught up in that fake anti-spyware and it was my birthday yesterday, so give me a break. (I know you all really don't care, I'll get to the 'what works for me'.)
This is not some contraption that my I-know-he's-a genius son made, this idea is mine (borrowed from some radio show several years ago). This is Henry's nightlight put on a timer. Though yes, my child may be a genius, he is yet able to read time. He use to get out of bed at 6 am thinking that it was morning, along with trying to persuade his parents that it actually was morning.

I have the timer set to turn on his nightlight when he is suppose to go to bed and turns off at 7am, a decent time to get up if he must. He knows he is not allowed to get out of bed before the nightlight turns off (unless he has to use the bathroom).

This is way better than any alarm clock because it just quietly clicks off, he's not forced to wake up if he's not ready to and I then don't have to deal with any super-grouchy-needed-way-more-sleep preschooler in the morning (which is after 7am if you didn't catch that~).

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I will file that away in the "things I need to remember when I'm a parent" file.
I wish I was just waiting for the nightlight to go off so I could gleefully jump out of bed. Not so in Aryn-land.

kristine said...

I love your idea and think i might need to use it when Graycen is old enough to understand.

Aracely said...

That was just the kind of evil move I'd expect from my arch nemesis! Trying to convince me it's Wednesday, when you know I live for Thursdays. Nice try!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the day when I can actually reason with my son! Maybe I will get to catch an extra 30 minutes of sleep. This is a Mommy Genius idea!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Genius...I'll file that one away for when Izzy gets a little older.

amanda said...

you. are. brilliant.

really.

love this!!

Miss Lisa said...

That is such a cool idea!

Rebecca said...

This is great. I'm going to try this. Where do I get a timer thingy like that?

Anti-Supermom said...

Rebecca - my timer is from Target, of course :)

Amy W said...

OMG I really could've used that with my oldest son (now 9 and thank god entertains himself when he wakes up early)! My 2 1/2 y.o. is going to get some of this in the very near future. He is starting to come in our room every morning at 6 am sharp, which is like the 6th circle of hell for me. Not as bad as 5 a.m., like the oldest used to do, but still NOT GOOD. Thanks for sharing your ingenious contraption!

A Crafty Mom said...

Brilliant, absolutely. I'm totally doing this. We have both items at home already and I don't have to buy one!!! Thanks :-)

Carol said...

Completely genius idea!!

Kristen said...

OK, please help!!

Please respond to my comment and let me know exactly the stores that you bought this at!!!

We woke up to Cade rearranging furniture this morning, because he can't yet read his clock!!

Please help this mother sleep until 7 AM again!!!!!!!!

Vashey Fam said...

Gosh! This is great! I wish Wyatt we're old enough to try it on!

Liz said...

Ohhhhhhhh....I love that!!! My son is up with the sun (or actually wayyy before it) about 99% of the time. I may very well steal this idea!

Laural Out Loud said...

You are the genius here. SUCH a great idea. I'd use it, but I'd have to move my daughter's dollhouse (she has a very small room). We'll just have to suffer through early mornings for a while longer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...