Thursday, October 2, 2008

a Diet Coke PSA

This is a Public Service Announcement.

Marketing geniuses have been working on ways that we consumers will believe we are still getting a good deal. For me, it started with Wrigley's gum changing from a 5 pack to a 4 pack, charging the same amount, thinking perhaps we wouldn't notice. (Perhaps some of you didn't, but being the cheap mom that I am, I did.)

Now they are messing with Mommy's elixir of the heavens, Diet Coke. I have to believe that they (Coca-Cola bigwigs) don't know who they are dealing with. I'm certain that they don't understand the importance that Diet Coke leads in the lives of so many mothers out there to purely function during a day.

I know that we, caffeine-charged moms, are not confused by marketing terms like "special" that make us think we are getting something really unique, like those Olympic cans or the Santa cans (though heck yes, those are wonderful and they do bring a little bit of cheer to my day), or by using the term "while supplies last" because we know that you (again, bigwigs) will continue to make Diet Coke as liquid gold, but reducing a case from 24 to 20 and thinking that maybe we wouldn't realize is just plain ridiculous.


Mothers unite, fight for those missing 4 cans. Your children will thank you for it (or at least be happy you are the normal, reasonable, highly caffeinated mommy they are use to).

14 comments:

Marla said...

it is ridiculous that manufacturers think we are stupid enough to fall for this... thankfully i drink diet pepsi ;)

kristine said...

You know- I actually didn't even notice that! I wrote it on my grocery list as 24pk diet coke. Crazy!

amanda said...

you go get those bigwigs friend!!

they really don't know who they are messing with!!

Miss Lisa said...

I noticed the same thing with my OJ--like 6 less ounces in the remodeled 'easier to use' jug. Same price though--yay.......

Anonymous said...

That's just horrible. Under caffeinated mothers are a force to be reckoned with. (I hate ending a sentence with a preposition, but it sounded really weird the other way.)

Unknown said...

I definitely agree with you!

Don't they know that us DC addicts know what they are up to?!

Wendi said...

You get em girl!!!

I didn't even notice.

Thanks for sharing...I will be paying closer attention next time!

A Crafty Mom said...

I hadn't noticed, and I usually pay attention to that kind of stuff lately. Then again, we are always getting ripped off for food in Canada ;-)

Rebecca said...

"Special" 20 can pack?! No. A 28 can pack would be special.

Marketing Mama said...

WTF? Is that supposed to be all cases now everywhere? That's crap.

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

I'm a fountain drink gal myself, but still... what are they thinking? Way to go after 'em!

Carol said...

I was just reading that this is how companies are dealing with the economic crisis, giving us less for our money hoping we won't even notice.

But you just can't mess with the caffeinated beverages. That is going too far.

Some days my life and my kids lives depend on my caffeine intake.

Laural Out Loud said...

It's happening with almost all packaging. With today's economy, companies have to raise prices. But instead of you seeing a higher number, they're just reducing sizes, hoping you won't notice. There's really no way around the paying more for less, but I think it's sneaky and uncalled for to do it this way.

Rachel said...

This is the same nonsense as calling a miniature candy bar "fun size." A candy bar as big as I am...that would be fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...