Tuesday, September 13, 2011

a letter to SpongeBob SquarePants

Dear Mr. SquarePants,

I'm sorry. Here you are in the news, once again, this time getting blamed for making our preschoolers stupid.

Apparently, just watching 9 minutes of your show caused executive functions to be lower than one group of kids who watched Caliou (yes, his voice annoys me too, and you are totally right; Caliou is way too whiny, but anyway...) and another group of preschoolers who drew pictures during that time.

9 minutes! Your show is a half-hour. I gotta say, with this new study, you might be screwed with the preschooler crowd.

They say that the fast pace is just too much for preschoolers' brains. That over exposure to your show could have long-lasting effects on 4 year-olds. That kids are 'more amped up after watching your show'.

And we both know that the tv was turned on in the first place to shut them up, not make them crazy enough to eat cat liter after watching your show.

But, it's not really your fault, now is it? Here at our house, we like to call your show Doritos for the brain. Sure, sometimes Doritos are (super) yummy, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to let my kids have them all the time. I'm not going to let them eat an entire bag either.

I just so happen to be smart enough to know Doritos aren't healthy for you, just like I'm smart enough to know your show isn't the best thing to plop my kids in front of.

Yes, I figured that out all on my own.

So... sorry. You're getting a bad rap once again. I'm pretty sure they meant to point out that parents can be dumb and they can make their kids dumb too, well actually, maybe that was insinuated.

Those sly researcher people.

Keep your chin up!
Sincerely,
Anti-Supermom

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Watching Caillou actually feels like someone is running their nails down a chalkboard or continuously scraping their fork on a plate. Yet, my 3 year old loves it and I get 25 minutes to make dinner. It's called SURVIVAL.

Rita Templeton said...

I'm in NO way anti-TV ... sometimes it's the only way to keep things quiet enough to maintain my sanity for a few minutes! But, for reasons I could never put my finger on, I've never allowed my kids to watch Spongebob. At least now I have a reason. :)

Steph said...

Amen! Caliou is so whiney that sometimes I would prefer my daughter to be watching sponge bob. And yes, I let my 2yo watch Sponge Bob and she is just fine!

Hello I'm Lala! said...

I said the same thing when I heard about this study. Was it really necessary? Anybody could have told them this. LOL. I let my 2 year old watch only those shows that I don't mind hearing or watching myself. Sponge Bob has never made it and even though Barney is a "good" show to let your children watch, I keep that away from the tellie too. LOL.

An Imperfect Momma said...

Seriously though...peoples need to stop picking on SpongeBob.

Emmy said...

I have never liked Sponge Bob so I kind of convinced my kids it was a bad naughty show. If it comes on they yell and hurry and turn the TV off. No wonder why my kids are so smart! ;)

KristinFilut said...

I love Spongebob, and Caillou's hippie parents and his irritating, whiny voice make me bonkers. I'd rather rot my brain (and a plethora of 4 year-old brains) for 9 minutes than watch even a minute of that show.

The Accidental Somebody said...

I LOVE Spongebob. LOVE HIM. I think it's better for adults than for kids...may he stick around our households for centuries to come!

Working Mommy said...

I think watching SpongeBob has actually made Lulu smarter...or maybe we've just trained her to have manners?! The other day there was an episode where SB and Patrick were fighting...Lulu went right up to the TV and was pointing at them yelling - no fighting - we don't hit. So cute!

wm

amanda said...

i used to have a crush on spongebob.

that's all i am going to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...