Thursday, June 23, 2011

step up to the plate

There are things that I remember about Kindergarten, like pretending to sleep so hard at nap time that my classmates had to physically shake me 'awake', like getting my Strawberry Shortcake doll; the one that smelled like lemon meringue pie; stolen from my backpack, and learning things like how to tie my shoelaces.

But apparently, 'learning how to tie shoelaces' isn't on the curriculum at Henry's school. He's going to be entering the second grade and hasn't yet been taught. Ugh. This means that I will inevitably have to step up to the plate and teach him.

I hate having teach him stuff.

But I equally hate having to listening to him groan on about the velcro on his shoes getting stuck with fuzzies.

Oh, the tragedy of fuzzies in your velcro, Henry!

Thank goodness for YouTube...



Feel free to sit your child in front of my blog and have them watch the video 'how to tie your shoe' along with my son, just make sure to thank me in your comments for teaching your child this life skill. (I'm kidding... sort of.)

Unless it's acceptable for the average adult to only wear velcro shoes, then forget all that stuff about being a life skill and continue on as usual.

(And does anyone else think it's hilarious that this video has almost 400,000 views?! Seriously, what did we parents do before YouTube.)

8 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Damn you! Damn you Anti-Supermom! Seriously? Seriously? I've been looking for this like FOREVER because they don't teach them in school here either. WTF? And this very day, I'm not kidding either...this very morning I spent 2 hours teaching him how to tie his freakin' laces...and then I see this.

Ahhhhh!!!

I love that your floors are sticky. Mine are always sticky too. Maybe because I always cook with more than 5 ingredients. Must be...

I love your site. I'm now a superfan!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

Note to self: bookmark said blog post for future reference.

I'll show this to Bella tomorrow--but I have a feeling once I do she'll always want to watch it...yay for that...

xo

Unknown said...

I cannot believe they don't teach kids how to tie their shoes anymore! What is this world coming to? Dang it.

Laural Out Loud said...

I volunteered in my daughter's Kindy class last year before I had Mason, and one day the teacher asked me to teach the kids to tie their shoes! I was like, I have no idea how to explain it, I was hoping YOU would do it! There I was, hunkered down on the floor with a big prenant belly, trying to teach kids how to tie. It did NOT go well, lol.

Mandy said...

THANK YOU!! We must learn this skill this summer!! ACK Much appreciate the video, my friend. :)

Emmy said...

My almost 1st grader has no clue... guess I should teach him. I mean seriously though what has happened with the education system- we used to learn coloring and tying your shoes and your address in kindergarten- now they learn to read and write! It is a disgrace. :)

Dee @ Cocktails with Mom said...

I am so glad I am passed the learning how to tie shoes phase. THanks for the video though. They should definitely have a How To Vide on this......Oh they do now lol.

amanda said...

oh you tube - what would we do with out you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...