Saturday, June 25, 2011

on Wednesday night

A man committed suicide, in the porta potty, in the park half a block away from our house. It's our park, it's the one we are at at least twice a week. We could have been the ones to discover his body if I just said 'let's head out to the park' instead of saying 'let's play basketball in the driveway this afternoon.'

Thank God we didn't find him.

And I only wish to God it was my neighbor that was the one to discover him. He's a doctor, he would have known what to do... what to say. Instead he was there, he shut the slightly open door of the toilet and said something to his wife about 'a porta potty door should be closed.'

Instead it was a four year old boy who found the body.

It could have so easily been been my four year old, Wyatt or Henry or one of the boys I watch. We are so often the only ones there, and of course, I say 'go ahead, head to the bathroom by yourself'.

I won't do it again, ever.

My guts aches every time I drive by our park. I can't even think about going there again, watching the boys play, thinking about what he did.

I'm pissed that he killed himself in a park. In a park where any four year old could find his body.

That this little boy could be affected by this, for his entire life.

Suicide feels so selfish.

13 comments:

moljoe said...

This is horrible. Really, truly horrible. A motorcyclist was killed next to our car when my son was 2 years old (now he is 4). We had just waved hello to him and two minutes later he ran into a pole and was instantly killed. After my son waved to him, I said, "Man, he is going way too fast." Then, it happened in a flash and my son couldn't stop screaming. He knew what happened. It was gruesome. We were stuck next to the accident and couldn't leave at first. He spent a couple of months processing through it in his 2 year old way and he still is scared of highways and going fast. Every single day he asks if we have to go on a highway and we did therapy to try to work through it.
Thinking of that 4 year old boy in the park by your house...what a tragedy for everyone.

KristinFilut said...

Suicide is selfish. Very selfish. How awful that poor little boy had to find that selfish man's body, and I'm sorry he ruined the park for you.

jen said...

life and leaving it are some very scary things for our little ones to process. and four ... is such an age where processing takes forever and never really goes away. though maybe it is always like that. we just don't process out loud ... all the time.
what a uck thing for you and your family. you are more than welcome at my ... our park. no portapotties though ... you just have to run across the street back to our house.

Shan said...

Oh, Beth. That is sickening. I do agree that suicide is selfish. I feel so bad for that little boy.

The good thing about death in a porta potty is that they are easy to remove and replace. Not like a structure. When you're ready, you can go and start replacing the tragedy with new happy memories.

Mandy said...

How horrible. That poor little boy. :(

OHmommy said...

Horrible!

Liz Mays said...

I think suicide is the absolute most selfish thing anyone can ever do.

I dearly hope that the little boy won't be scarred by that jarring image. How horrible!

Janelle Halverson said...

I am so sorry!! We had a guy shoot himself in our tiny "town" a month or two ago. Very scary incident with the police, etc involved. Sad and so frightening!

amanda said...

oh beth...i don't even know what to say!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Oh no! Besides the horror of knowing a little one could discover this, what an awful way to go. A porta potty??! What the?

Emmy said...

Oh I too am so glad it wasn't your kids- but yes how horribly awful for that four year old.. oh I can't even imagine.

Unknown said...

Ohmygosh. Honey, I am so sorry. I cannot imagine finding someone like that. And to have a poor innocent four year old find him? Really?

This reminds me of this weekend. We saw a motorcycle accident after it had happened. The 20 yr old was lying on the ground. Covered in blood. I gasped. Isabella keeps asking me what happened to the boy. It's awful. The boy ended up dying. And she said she didn't see it, but I'm not so sure.

It breaks me to the core having little ones experience life's cruelties so early. Thinking of you all right now, sweetie. ((hugs))

Murdock's mama said...

This is soo sad on so many levels! :( It really makes you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...