Tuesday, October 20, 2009

in my autumn




I should have known to stick to my silly, made-up-in-my-mind rules to life, one of them being: don't talk to me during a massage. I got a real massage, from a certified, non-setting-me-on-fire, technician last weekend for my birthday.

It started out with her asking me about the headband in my hair, as she's rubbing her fingers around my scalp, 'Where did I get it from?', 'Does it make your head hurt after a while?''Does it really keep your hair in place?'

I let out a little sigh from the hole in the middle of the headrest. Maybe if I answer her briefly, she'll catch on: 'Target... yes...no'.

Then she continued on; asking me about 'what I do, about my kids, their ages'; all while knuckling my back and oiling up my elbows. I guess that I must have opened the flood gates of communication instead of damning the entire conversation. Then I started thinking about how she does this for 8 or so hours a day, of course she wants someone to talk to. I started to feel sorry for her and well, obligated to continue on the conversation. Heck, it might even be fun.

Then she said I was old.

She was pinching my arm fat under my arms and stated: 'when I do this to younger customers they sometimes start to laugh, you aren't ticklish there'. The audible silence just got louder. So I said "Are you saying I'm old since I'm not laughing?" I laugh at this, she laughs with me and says nothing.

Then she said I was fat.

She was pushing on the what I thought was a knot behind my shoulder blade when she told me that I actually 'have a fatty deposit: see, it's sort-of fun; it rolls around a little'. Then I tell her 'I'm familiar with these so-called fatty deposits, that I have them all over my butt'. Again, I laugh while she proceeds to tell me about an old professor of hers that had a 'fatty deposit' on his left temple that he got removed, that I could do that too.

Surgical removal of all the 'fatty deposits' on my butt would leave me flat and a$$less.

Then she said I was lazy.

She was nearing the end of the massage,rubbing my fingers and rotating my arms around in a clockwork fashion. She says 'did you know that you don't have full motion of your arms?'

huh?

'It happens to people who sit at desks, at computers all day. Their bodies just get use to not being used correctly'. I remind her that I do not do either of these things (not really people, I'm not blogging all day).

So I guess, no more of this half-a$, arms half-way up in the air celebration when Wyatt hits the water in the toilet and not the floor - oh no, I'll be a full on, hands straight up, 'awesome job kiddo', kind of a mom, that I can fix.

Maybe.

28 comments:

Emmy said...

I can't believe she said all those things! And I agree, when I get a massage I just want to zone out and enjoy it... not be told I am fat/lazy and sit at a desk all day. (none of which you could possibly be)

Lee said...

I am cracking up!! I would have have kindly told her to shut the F... up...or just sighed a lot really really loud!

Anonymous said...

So it definitely wasn't the relaxing massage you were after. I would say something to the management about it.

There are times when it's ok to talk during beauty treatments. For example when you're getting waxed you need a little conversation to keep your mind of the pain that's coming. You definitely don't need chatter when you're trying to zone out during a massage.

Shan said...

Oh, good grief! Some people really have no understanding of social skills. Just be glad you're not related to her... then you'd have to see her on holidays or other should-be-happy-so-why-don't-you-leave?!? times. Gah!

Jayme said...

How rude!

Anonymous said...

Wooooow...that is such a drag! I hate completely clueless people. Seriously, I would have complained. Later. After I'd left. Maybe in a letter. ;)

Hope the massage felt good despite being insulted!

Bethany said...

OMGosh, I have a friend in my circle of friends that insults in this manner. I'm pretty sure she doesn't know that what she's saying is an insult but no one talks to her if they don't have to.

Also as a SAHM, I'm loving your idea for throwing one's arms all the way in the air when one of my children accomplishes something. God knows I feel like doing that when Braden hits the water. :)

Amy Gauley Stork said...

Hi Beth, I love your blog! I had a massage a couple weeks ago and my therapist, Brian, asked me if my silly fish tattoo on my back was a birthmark and giggled. He also talked about God from the get go. I am a believer so it was fine but got a little extreme by the end. i could tell you every detail about his life but I will spare the details. Long story short, shut up and rub me!
Also read your surrogacy story and cried the entire time. My husband and I had a difficult time trying to have Madeline and my sister had volunteered to be our surrogate. What an amazing gift.
Von Maur sure seems like a long time ago doesn't it? It was fun while it lasted but I couldn't go back...
Amy

April D said...

I totally agree! Massages should be quiet... no talking. You're there to relax and get away from all the talking. And Wow! That lady was quite talkative, huh?? lol

Jenn said...

Well GEEZ! I'd rather have my blankets lit on fire than listen to all that crap. I would've slapped her. (Ok...I wouldn't slap her, but I would've wanted to, if that counts! LOL!)

Mrs. M said...

Massage from hell. Halloween edition. :)

kayerj said...

that was interesting. I'd say you handled it pretty well.

Allison said...

Some people are so rude! I would have told her that I'd rather be old, fat and lazy than young, dumb and clueless (well maybe not but I would think it..really hard)!

Liz Mays said...

That's the first massage to actually create stress.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Okay...your commentary makes this hilarious.

Maybe next time, just the "I expect not to talk at all throughout my massage" will have to be uttered.

LutherLiz said...

i hate people talking to me in those types of situations. Hello I only get two minutes a day to think clearly, and just once I'd like it to not be on the toilet. Sheesh.

I'd be happy to send some of my fatty deposits your way if you were worried that removing them would leave your ass to flat. I have more than enough to spare :)

Unknown said...

I get massages so infrequently that I think I would have found a subtle way to get her to shut up. What a way to ruin a nice hour for you. Sheesh. You need a new massage therapist. Maybe you could print out this post anonymously and mail it in to the place, attn to her manager?!?!?!

Aryn said...

Ooooohhhh. That is the worst. Just imagine what she says to the people who really ARE fat, lazy and immobile. I hope you didn't tip her. I'd rather have no massage than a bad massage - I don't need the disappointment.
Happy birthday tomorrow! You should have heard me gushing to Benji about your last two posts!
-A

hidden said...

OMG! I'm so sorry that you had such a crappy birthday massage experience. I think you deserve a new appointment with a different, quiet massage therapist. It's a good thing you KNOW that you are not old, fat or lazy... imagine what she could have done to a more insecure woman!

Unknown said...

That's horrible! I hope you didn't tip her. Happy almost birthday.

amanda said...

i puffy heart you!

and only wishing i was there for a side by side bff massage - we could have snickered through the little hole together about being called fat, old and lazy!

StepherB said...

Man, this did not make me laugh, it made me mad! I cannot believe she had the audacity to say that to you! I am sure all of that jabbering from her, really made you relax as a massage is supposed to! Yikes! Sorry!

AiringMyLaundry said...

The heck kind of massage was that??

Sheesh.

Tonja +Jere + Kids said...

she was kinda rude...well she was effin rude. goodness.

Half of a Duo, Raising a Duo said...

I'd be finding me a new massage therapist.

Love that pic you posted at the top... it is a stunner. Was it taken w/the new Nikon?

You have to find a therapist that does soft tissue/myofasial release. Not just someone who runs their hands over your skin and drones on relentlessly and doesn't respect your need for SILENCE!

Hugs hun!!!!

Rebecca said...

Wow. What a yatch she was. I wonder if she even realized how yatchy she was.

Frugal New England Kitchen said...

Wow! It's like when I get my teeth cleaned and my dental technician won't shut up and I can't say anything!

Happy SITS day!

hidden said...

I hope you didn't tip her! Yikes! Time to find a new massage therapist.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...