Friday, October 16, 2009

fairy tales do come true


Once upon a time there was a girl, a girl who liked to travel to a magical place called Super Targetland. When she would get to Targetland, she would skip through the thick forest into the back of the land called Electronics. In the town of Electronics lived these little, wonderful friends called DSLR cameras. The girl dreamed about the DSLRs, she touched them, she fondled picked them up, she pretended to take photos whenever she could (which was sometimes up to 3 times a week, because this girl loved Targetland).

Then one day, there was a surprise for the girl. One of the cameras was being
banished from Targetland, marked with the scarlet clearance sticker of $420. Little Nikon looked so sad and the girl promised to bring him home.

But sadly for the girl, there were these means things called
'bills' and 'mortgage' that had to come before Clearance Nikon.

The girl visited Clearance Nikon often; just checking on him, making sure he was still there. She would make excuses of getting turkey for sandwiches, just to see little Nikon. And so, on one of those trips for turkey or lettuce or diapers, a surveyor Wizard asked if the girl would like to help and get a $15 Targetland gift card for answering some questions, which she answered 'of course, yes', the girl would never say 'no' to a free Targetland card.

The girl thought the survey spell was complete, but then the Wizard continues; 'You can do another, longer 'spell' at home. Here's a good faith $25 gift card for saying yes and you get this Flip Camera for video recording your opinions. ' "Yes, Yes" shouts the girl. The Wizard continues: 'and if you complete the spell within the next week, you will get another $100 gift card.' (Yes, the Girl was amazed as your are.)

The girl takes home the $40 in gift cards and the Flip Camera. She works on the spell almost everyday and it takes way longer than she had hoped, but she continues onward.

One evening, the girl takes a trip to Targetland, with having a little bit of the Targetland money, she dreams that she might someday afford Clearance Nikon. She heads through the forest only to see devastation, Nikon is gone.

The girl is sad, so sad. She finishes the 'spell', gets her $100 gift card and sells her new Flip camera on craigslist for another $100. She had in her hand $240 of gift cards and money with nowhere to go. It sits in her drawer.

Then one evening, the girl decides to ask one of the knights behind the counter of the town of Electronics where Clearance Nikon might have gone. He tells the girl it is gone, but that there is another Nikon in a nearby town. "The chances of it being there are slim, since it's the last one, but give them a call".

And so the girl does and it is gone, but the knight on the phone say "there might be one more at another store, but probably not since it's now $349 on clearance". The girl swooned at the news. She called yet again, the third Targetland. The knight answered and said "Yes, we have it, but it's the display model, so you would get an additional 30% off for buying the display."

Too make a long story shorter, the girl drove her minivan as fast as she could chariot to Targetland that evening, picked up Nikon for $244.97 and after her 'spell' money of $240 she only had to pay $4.97 out-of-pocket for her new little DSLR friend, Nikon D40.

The moral of the story: 'Good things come to those who wait'.

Nah, really the moral is if you are at Target on Food Sample Saturday buy one of the samples, flaunt it around so some *important* people might know you are getting it and when asked to do a survey because you purchases said sample product, say 'yes'. For goodness sakes, say 'yes!'

33 comments:

Mrs. M said...

That's almost too good to be true!! Can't wait to see your pics!! ;-)

Half of a Duo, Raising a Duo said...

Good one! Whooooooo for kick butt cameras, especially Nikons because the lenses never change!

Unknown said...

OMG. This story is amazing.

You are going to loooove the D40. And I am super, super jealous that you got it for so cheap. That's probably the best thing that I ever heard!

Thanks for the survey tip, btw...that's awesome!

The Rambler said...

Wow. Target just opened here in Hawaii (FINALLY) and I'll have to keep my eyes open. Cause ahem, we go quite frequently.

(eyeroll from husband realizing more trips might be in his near future.)

Can't wait to see the photos!!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you got the Nikon King, that means the Princess is very happy. Awesome price BTW!

Our TargetLand does not have Sample Saturday only Sams Club and WalMart,

Jen Westpfahl said...

WOW! Nice work. I'm glad there was still one left.

And I don't know if my Target even has Sample Saturdays but I'm sure going to go find out.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Wow! That's awesome. Free gift cards and a free flip? Dude, I might need to make a trip to Tarjay!

And, this post with no pictures? Sadface:(

tori said...

Oh my! this is the BEST fairy tale I've ever read! I have spent the past year wishing on every shootin star, birthday candle blow out, and gift request, for a Nikon. I'm still waiting! I can't wait to see all the beautiful pics you will take!
Congrats!!!

LutherLiz said...

Awesome! (I'm more than a little jealous due to my addiction to targetland and my coveting of DLRs)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Wow, nice!!

I wish a Wizard would ask me to do a survey. I totally would for gift cards. I'm in Target every week for goodness sakes.

Heidi said...

Ok, you made me cry, because my dreams will probably never come true. :( Not like yours did anyway. And here I thought the camera I was looking at (on sale for the low cost of $1500) was a steal! Although coincidentally this same kind of Nikon clearance was exactly how I got my cheapy Nikon that I'm shooting with right now! Which model did you end up with? YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!
You were right, this was a great fairytale, you definitely needed to share it with the world and what a great way to tell the story!
I just read your e-mail. I will answer you soon! I promise!

Heidi said...

Hee, hee. I never claimed to be observant. I just went back and looked at the picture and read through the post, you got the D40! Oh how exciting and WOW!!! What a screamin' deal!
Did you end up with any lenses for that $244.97?

Heidi said...

You'll have to come join in some of the photo games that I play now!!
So apparently I should have just emailed you. But I guess the 3 sort of short posts rather than 1 extremely long one looks better right? ;)

kayerj said...

congratulations to the little girl on her persistence.

Anonymous said...

What a saving! Perseverance really does pay off.

amanda said...

whooo hoooo!!! just read the story out loud to hubby and we are both giddy for you honey!!! this is HUGE news!!

there is nothing better than a successful target "stalking" :)

can't wait to see all the new fab pics!!

Shan said...

Wow! Such a bargain for such an amazing camera. My MIL has one and she LOVES it. (I have the D60... D60 and I tolerate one another, but I have a feeling it's me not Big D... *sigh*).

OHmommy said...

OMG... thats THE best story ever. Congrats you will love it.

Capital Mom said...

That is a pretty good fairy tale. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Evonne said...

That is awesome! Good things do come to those who wait and a little extra work never hurts!

Emmy said...

Oh thank you for the secret!
And good for you!!! Have fun with your camera, that is a screaming good deal!!

Liz Mays said...

That is the best purchase story I've ever heard! You are sooooo lucky!

Rebecca said...

Holy CRAP! That is awesome!

We [I] got a DSLR this year, too. I didn't wait. I had to pay full price. It was worth it, though. I LOVE IT.

Miss Lisa said...

What a happy fairy tale---that came true :)
You lucky princess!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!!! I have the D40 and LOVE it :) Can't wait to see what you can do with it!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Holy crap. That IS a fairy tale!

Allison said...

That is so amazing and I am so amazingly jealous!

I have been drooling over a DSLR forever it seems like.

Great deal!

Blasé said...

pfssst! "waiting" is for losers!

Aryn said...

That is an AMAZING price - nice work, lady. You will indeed love the Nikon. It's what the snobby photographers like to use - for good reason (I went Pentax though, loyalty to my SLR roots).
Congratulations! -A

Beth P. said...

Awesome. How completely awesome. I'm insanely jealous of your fortunes but am so happy you got your long awaited for prize.

solange said...

Wow!!!! you are good!!!

kristine said...

You lucky freakin' duck.

citymouse said...

I love this post and have come back to read it several times. I am actually linking to it today because of its awesome-ness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...