Wednesday, May 27, 2009

the main course

May 23rd is my surrogate son's birthday (wish him a happy belated birthday if you can). Of course, this time makes me reminisce his birth and all the excitement and joy that filled it....

but there is one little bit of information that I held back in my story of his birth.

As I was nearing 10cm, grabbing onto the bedside bars, trying my hardest not to think about wanting to pushing, my husband decided to go for a walk. A walk outside the hospital, a few blocks outside of the hospital, a few blocks outside of the hospital talking on his cell phone. Yes, my husband was unreachable, talking on his cell phone to our friend from Seattle, all messages going straight to voice mail. Him, physically blocks away from me who was about to give birth to another person's child.

I told the nurse that I needed my husband (At this point, I had no idea that he had gone on a walk that far). I started to cry.

The nurse looked all over the maternity floor. I gave her his cell phone number, which she called and left messages and finally, she paged him over the hospital speaker (which she informed me they never, ever do. Yes, I'm pretty certain, to the nurse, I was queen of b$tches-about-to-give-birth.

I'm teasing, she loved me, I think..
.).

Lucky, my husband walked in the door without missing the birth. All was good, we laugh about it today. Ha-ha. (See, funny.)

So as I reminisce about my surrogate son's birth tonight, eating my volunteer dinner at the hospital cafe, I smile as I see a pager sitting on the table of a family waiting to see the lights flash, the buzzer buzz, letting them know that baby is about to come.

Best idea ever.

It totally make me think giving birth is a like dining out at the Timber Lodge Steakhouse, but whatever, I'd be completely happy if I could get a pager and make reservations for having a baby too, as long as that meant this time, my husband would definitely be sticking around for the main course.



And again Happy Belated Birthday, to E&D's main course, Ari.

15 comments:

Mandy said...

I am positive Ari's parents are so thankful for the tremendous blessing you provided for them. :)

Aryn said...

I never heard that part of the story either! Pagers. Huh, seriously good idea.
Happy belated birthday to Ari! Nice work, B.

Miss Lisa said...

I never knew you did this. Bless you for doing such a generous selfless act!

4luvandlife said...

there are 2 sides to every story. I may be posting a rebuttal.

Elly said...

Brian went to the cafeteria and took a nap. He smelled of tacos and doritos, which almost made me throw up. :-) I love birth stories. Thanks for sharing!

amanda said...

happy belated birthday to ari and happy special day to you friend. you truly are one amazing woman and i am lucky to have you in my world :)

and wait...is 4luvandlife your hubby?? how did i miss this??

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.Interesting story.
I'm stopping by via SITS to say hello.

A Crafty Mom said...

I think your story is amazing, I've always been in awe of it. How fantastic for you to post about his birthday.

Pagers??? That's crazy!!!

I'm DYING to read the rebuttal and now have added your hubby's blog to my reader. Y'all are in big trouble now :) Something must have been pretty important to keep him away when you were in transition!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Can't wait to read your hubby's rebuttal.

Happy birthday to Ari! And happy day to you, too, because this is a special day for you as well.

Rebecca said...

That is so funny (see, ha ha with you)! I cannot figure out why in the world he would go that far and not answer the other incoming calls! What what he thinking!

I'm curious - is the pager provided by the hospital? I've never seen one of those.

Capital Mom said...

Happy belated birthday!

Loukia said...

You are truly amazing amazing amazing for being a surrogate. You ARE a supermom, you know. :) I love your blog.

Rachel said...

Howdy, visiting from SITS. That was so selfless and loving, of both you and your husband, to be surrogates. I include him because he had to probably give a little of his ego away to do it. Maybe it was hard for him to see you in pain? Anyway, I think you're both "super" in spite of your title!

Margaret said...

That is such a great gift to someone. I am not sure I could do it.

Lori said...

I worked as a doula for about 10 years or so and I was always so in awe of the birth process. I was even more in awe of the women who were surrogates. Their strength and dedication to helping others was always so touching. What a wonderful gift you have given!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...