Thursday, May 8, 2008

update to birthday aftermath

Wednesday nights are my volunteer, mommy-gets-out-of-the-house nights. My DH calls them Daddy Nights. Henry said about this night, 'now we can do whatever we want'. After my departure, my DH decided that it would be a great idea to move Wyatt's car seat, load both children and head to Target to find out exactly how much Henry's Mack truck would cost him. I'm sure you can see where this is going, but I will fill you in on the conversation:

Henry: There it is, the one just like Noah's
Daddy: Wow, Henry. (Notices that it is on sale, though looking at the incorrect UPC and thinks that it's only $15)
Daddy: It looks like you would only need $10 more to earn the truck. I think we should get it today because it's on sale. (It's actually $20 but that's beyond the point of this post).
Henry: Would Mommy say OK?

My sweet, wonderful boy. He knew a little better than my sweet DH did last night. No, it was not "OK" with me. Out the window goes the idea of earning something, learning the idea of a dollar. My dreams of a little financial wizard disappeared. DH did a little bit of damage control this morning by telling Henry that he was still 'earning' his truck by doing jobs. Since Henry still believes that he only needed $10 more to pay for the truck, he'll be getting an inflated payment of $1 per job (I guess our economy knows how to pay four-year-olds), with only 10 jobs to get his truck fully paid off. At this point, the only lesson I hope that this may help him with is getting a firm concept of ten things.

On the flip side, Henry has spent the entire day thanking Dad for getting his truck. Putting his head down and telling God 'thank you for Mack'. Asking me if Mack is a kid, does he have a Mom and Dad? Telling me when I tell him that it's time to go outside, that he hasn't had enough time to play with Mack. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if all this Mack talk is any better than him rolling out of bed and asking about Mack every morning. Perhaps it could have waiting more than 6 months.


PS- I had to try the same coloring editing that OHMommy did, so yes, I'm copying you, it's flattery I promise.

4 comments:

Marketing Mama said...

LOL - now he understands what it's like to make car payments! Seriously that's funny that your husband bought it for him. And I have to say I'm in a bit of mommy-awe, as the thought of making my kid work for something to appreciate its value hasn't even crossed my mind yet at this age.... Love the picture and the story. it sounds like he is SO HAPPY! :)

Anonymous said...

I think DH is poorly represented here. He sounds like a great Dad that is instilling strong financial values into Henry. Take it easy on him, I'm sure he is doing his best :)

Anonymous said...

OK- I don't mean to be ignorant, but what does DH stand for???

Melissa said...

i have to hope on Manager Mom's questions... DH?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...