Sunday, May 18, 2008

open late


What a surprise, I love to shop. In fact I use to be a buyer, so shopping was literally in the job description. I was a buyer for Von Maur (never mind that I was only shopping for 18 stores at that time and every time we buyers went to New York City the vendors would call us the Von Mormons because we we not allowed to wear pants. Yes, if you don't believe me, go to the Eden Prairie mall -or a mall in closer proximity to you- and look in Von Maur, you will not see a single woman in pants, or denim for that matter), and I thought the job was pretty cool (also, never mind that my core customers were basically female retirees and hip grandmas). I also worked for Target Corporation, which I thought was so not cool. (I don't know what I thinking, why I would believe managing purchase orders and planograms would be more fun?)

I still love Target the store and of course, I still love shopping. So, why did I not have any idea that they were open until 10pm on the weekdays? I was hastily going in the one night after volunteering to get a Mother's Day card -sorry Mom, I had it on time, it really was just mailed late- right before 9 o'clock thinking that I had just made it (did I mention that I grew up in a small town, so take that into consideration) when my face was hit with the beautiful glass doors of the oasis we call Target 'open until 10pm'.

My mind started to wander, what could I do with this information. From 9-10pm I could peruse the aisle sans children, sans guilt from husband (because the sweet kiddos would be in bed, hopefully). I dreamed of weaving my hands through the t-stands of clothing, actually able to get both feet into a possible new pair of shoes and being able to look at them in the tiny little 'foot mirror'. I smiled at the thought of actually being able to read labels on the side of granola bars to see what one really is mostly granola. I laughed out loud at me giving eyes to the parents that have children in Target when they should be in bed (okay, I wouldn't be that horrible).

I then woke, snapped to the realization that by 9pm I'm tired. I enjoy plopping on the couch, turning on tivo'd Oprah and just relishing in this 'me' time. There is no way this anti-supermom is heading at the door then, it's way past my bedtime!

3 comments:

Marketing Mama said...

LOL Beth - I love that Target is open until 10 p.m. I have been known to sneak out of the house after the kids are in bed for some fun Target shopping. It reminds me of life pre-wife and pre-mom when Target shopping was as much entertaining as it was functional. How big was your discount when you worked for them?

Anonymous said...

If I was the marketing person at Target, I'd serve free wine and chocolate from 9-10 PM.

They would be completely overrun with women like me. My Target visits are either between 8 and 9am on a Sunday or between 9 and 10on a weeknight.

Anti-Supermom said...

I love the wine and cheese idea, that would get my butt off the couch.

Missy, my discount was 10%, plus you could only use cash or your Target card - that's just not pratical for me :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...