Friday, May 23, 2008

birth day

This is part five, the final post of my surrogacy. See here for earlier posts.



Pregnancy generally is something that is shared. Shared with almost anyone that could stand to hear about it, 'in case you didn't know' (of course, after that first top-secret 12 weeks of pregnancy) but this was different. Eleni kept the pregnancy quiet on her end since laws in Australia looked down on surrogate pregnancies and here, with me, I didn't know what was next; what will people think, I just didn't know how to feel. After so long of wanting to be pregnant as a surrogate, I was. Now, that I was, what would be asked, how would I answer all those questions.

It was easy at first, there were no questions. I suppose my family didn't want to cross that path until necessary, but they didn't even ask if I was pregnant, though they knew about the surrogacy and the transfer. They always supported me, but not necessarily my decision. I can't blame them though either, as you can see, I didn't know exactly how to feel myself.

Looking back, this was probably the hardest part of the surrogacy. People never knew what to say, so nothing at all was said, when I was pregnant, but more so after I had the baby. My family simply didn't talk about it. Almost like it didn't happen. A sister-in-law described it best "we don't want to act like this didn't happen, but we don't know what to say". I'm not blaming anyone, as I didn't know how to talk about being a surrogate either. It's like being asked the question, 'so, who are you?' can you easily and eloquently say something just right? I quite simply couldn't.

After I told my immediate family, I shared it with my extended 'child care' family. I started the conversation the same way each time, "I'm pregnant, but this is a special pregnancy". I was encouraged by their reactions. My husband shared the news with his family. They had no idea that I even applied to be a surrogate, so this was a surprise to them. Obviously, some reactions were better than others, but overall their reactions made me more excited as the pregnancy progressed.

The pregnancy progressed. The pregnancy was uneventful for the most part. I continued my life as normal, only the calendar was dotted with OB appointments where I had to yet again explain to the nurse that I'm a surrogate, after a few times of this I just went along with it and stopped explaining. I did this with strangers too. Someone would ask my son if he was going to be a big brother, I'd say 'well, he doesn't really know' or something somewhat clever, I just didn't want to tell every stranger I was a surrogate. As for my son, I never told him I was 'growing a baby in my tummy', he was two and we decided he didn't really need to know as this wouldn't change his life by any means. The only time he really said anything was the day I went into labor, 'Mommy is big'.




The hardest part of the pregnancy was being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I didn't expect to not pass the test. I cried for days, I cried in the OB office, I cried at the dietitian, I cried because I was doing all this for someone else's baby. All the books they gave you ended with, 'all that hard work you will do means a healthy baby for you to take home'. That was hard. I wasn't getting any 'reward' for being a good diabetic, but of course, I did it for Eleni and for their baby. I was scared too, that this meant they would tell me to not get pregnant again for awhile, to let my blood sugar levels stabilize, to put off having another child for my family. That too, was hard.


I wrote about Eleni being calm. If this had been her first child, I imagine she would have been a wreck about me having diabetes, but she wasn't. I've read stories about soon-to-be mother's from surrogate pregnancies breaking down in the hospital. Eleni already being a mother, was the picture of calm, this was for me a huge blessing.


We emailed at least weekly, we talked on the phone not as often. She called me on the cell phone at the sonogram appointments, where I'm sure she would have given the world to be in that room, but couldn't. She was there (on the phone) when she found out she was having a boy and there at following ones listening to how well her little boy was growing, hearing the heartbeat. I mailed her all the pictures from the sonograms, it was as good as we both could do until she got here.


She got to Minneapolis on a Thursday night. I picked her up from the airport. I was nervous. I imagine she was nervous too. I saw her, waved and we hugged each other and in the middle of our embrace was her baby. His presence was obvious to us both. I had told Eleni that 'Henry was early, so please come early'. She fortunately listened, as I went into labor that Monday.


It's still a blur. It's also blending in with Wyatt's birth, that was just 11 months later. The nurses were incredible. They were so excited; for Eleni, for me, for themselves to be part of a surrogate's birth. It was less intense than Henry's as he had some more than difficult moments, but still the energy flowed in the room. When the time came to push, my husband was at my feet and Eleni was holding my hand. For those of you that have given birth, you know when there is only one push left, you can feel it. I didn't say a word, I just squeezed Eleni's hand letting her know her baby was almost here. This moment is one of the greatest single moments in my life, no words, just my hand and hers. In re-telling this story, I cry at this moment almost every time. I think of this moment almost daily two years later.



Two years ago today, 'Ari' was born. May 23rd, 2006.



Eleni holding her son for the first time






and Eleni's husband





my beautiful surro-son Ari, Happy Birthday



22 comments:

Kristie said...

Oh Beth, what a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing. The ending made me tear up. What an incredible gift you gave to Eleni and her family. Truly amazing!

kristine said...

That was something else to read. Touches my heart with every installment. This final one definitely made me cry.

OHmommy said...

Oh Beth..... the looks on both of their faces is truly amazing.

Amazing.

Emilie said...

So beautiful. What an amazing story.

Marketing Mama said...

Beth, I read this when you first posted but haven't had time to come back and comment... man, what a great experience. How awesome that you gave such an amazing gift to this family.

Thank you for sharing this journey with me/us. I admit when I first read that you were a surrogate my mind jumped to a lot of strange assumptions about it - not really understanding it at all. None of them were critical, just more like, confused... and not sure how to think, or talk about it - probably similar to the reactions of some of your family you mentioned in your story.

That's why I asked you to talk more about it, so I could understand -- thank you for taking all the time to explain what went into your decision making process, the transfer, the pregnancy and the birth.

Now I feel a lot more educated, on one woman's journey anyways, and would feel a lot more comfortable talking with someone if they were to share they were a surrogate.

Thanks again. :)
Missy

Anonymous said...

Beth,
You are an amazing Mom and an incredible woman. I am proud to be your sister-in-law! What better gift can you give a Man and Woman than to make them a Mom and Dad? It does not matter whether it is for the first time or an addition. It is a very selfless act. As I get ready to watch my first son graduate from high school this week, I am fully aware of the joy that a child brings and what you would have missed without them!!!!

Love you,

Julie

amanda said...

wow friend. just wow.

i finally read the whole story - such an amazing gift you gave.

you truly have a beautiful heart.

Gretchen said...

Very cool. I can't imagine it. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing! What a neat story and an incredible journey. I am a mother to a five month old- the best thing that has ever happened to me. It's wonderful that you helped someone have the gift of a child.

I'm sure it was at least a little bit hard to let him go. How did you cope? I hate to be nosy but just interested in the emotional impact it has on surrogate mothers.

Aracely said...

I had read the term surrogate in your profile before, and even though I know what the word means it never really registered until I read the whole story. My cape of to you my friend, that was beyond SUPER!

Do you still have contact with Ari and his family?

RuensOnTheRun said...

Wow - what an amazing story. Thanks for sharing it. I am truly touched by the whole story..and what a beautiful baby you carried into this world.

Michelle said...

WHEW! You got me choked up over here. Amazing story.

you make me want to tell my own similar, but very different, story. I'm not quite ready for that yet.

A few questions since you said you were open to answering them.

Her husband came too?

Did you have a natural birth?

How hard was parting with him?

It was her husbands sperm adn her egg...just your body?

Man, I really enjoyed that so much!

YOu are amazing!!!

Amanda said...

I love how you told your story here.
I wonder why I am so horrible with words, my blog is not written very well, but it does its "job" lol. Beautiful story here :)
btw I found your blog via mommy blogs.

Shan said...

I just finished reading your surrogacy story... and even though I started off your site with "You Didn't Eat Poop," I have to disagree with your blog title. You *are* Supermom.

Thanks for sharing your stories. I am looking forward to reading more... but later, because I think my tummy's a little sick, too.

Seriously, you cracked me up and then you moved me. Fabulous!

Tori said...

My goodness! What an incredible story. I respect you so much for sticking with your beliefs AND your dream. You have made an amazing difference in this world!

Allison said...

What a wonderful story! And an amazing act of kindness for this man and woman. I have contemplated doing this very thing for my sister in law who cannot have children. I worry about the emotional attachment. Was this an issue for you?

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

What an interesting story! I never really heard a real surrogate's story before. I did read a suspense novel called "The Surrogate" by Judith Henry Wall. It was a wild book!

Happy SITS day!

Hyacynth said...

First time at your blog and I'm in tears! How wonderful you could help give them that gift of Ari. I want to know the same things Michelle asked.
How hard was it to part with him? And nursing?

Erin said...

I really wanted to talk to you about this this weekend, and somehow it just didn't happen. It was such a blur and not enough time to sit and talk, especially with a baby, but surrogacy is something that I'm really interested in--I've even blogged about it before. I love your willingness to share, as it answered a lot of the questions I have.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I missed this section when reading your blog. I had no idea you were a surrogate. My sister was a surrogate for us, which is how we have our wonderful daughter (who is 2 now). I was smiling as I read your story but when you got to the part where you emailed Eleni with "two pink lines" I burst into tears and cried through the rest of the story.

You're wonderful for doing this for someone, especially a stranger. I hope you know that.

Sweet November said...

Wow. I have often thought about doing this for someone. And I think you haven given me a bit of hope that I might be able to.

Allison said...

What a neat story! I am still busy having my own kids and since I got married later I don't think that I would qualify for much longer but I had thought at one point that I would do it for a friend or family member...thanks for sharing all of your thoughts and feelings. You are a wonderful mom! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...