Wednesday, May 21, 2008

the crime scene

I did it again. I left my wallet. It's not that I have done this a lot, but yes, I have done. it. before. This time it was our local library, the scene it set. Two whining children at 5:25pm, one in stroller crying about him being ready for dinner. The second whining about getting out of here to go to his end-of-year preschool picnic. Neither one is making it an easier to complete the task at hand. Get our books and get out.

I scanned my library card, 'unable to process your request'. Ugg. I swipe it under the red beam again. The message appeared once more. I rolled my eyes, took a deep breath and walked up to the counter. I knew I had reached the $10 limit in fines. 'Yep, it looks like you have $12.60 worth of overdue fines'. I must have looked pathetic at this point. She continues 'you could just pay $3 to get you back under the $10 limit'. Of course, this was suppose to help but I haven't carried any cash since 2006. She then directed me to where I could 'conveniently' pay my fines online with a credit card.


Should I accept defeat and leave empty-handed? No, I pull up stroller and all, pay my fines and get those darn children books. This is where I believe the crime happened, I abandoned my wallet. I imagine it was some onlooker who found my wallet, who was previously staring at me and my children, praying for them to be quiet and leave and I did I left with them, those books and no wallet.


I didn't even notice it was gone until we got home from the picnic to a message on my phone. 'We have your wallet'. This call was left at 5:30pm. If you see my wallet any time in the near future, know that it's my children to blame and yes, please do give me a call.

4 comments:

kristine said...

That just plain old sucks! I am glad they had your wallet for you though. I can't imagine losing my wallet... *knock on wood*

Melissa said...

I hate that. I lef tmy whole diaper bag at walmart and thought I had lost everything, but someone turned it in.... I was soooo thankful

Marketing Mama said...

Oh no, I'm so glad someone called you about it. I don't carry cash either. LOL -I love your new masthead.

Manager Mom said...

I myself am a car-keys leaver. At least it is more immediately obvious, when I walk out to the car and discover I can't turn it on through the sheer power of my mind....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...