Tuesday, February 28, 2012

when the cat is away

What's that saying: 'when the cat is away, the mice will play'? I think that's bull. When the cat is away, the cat gets to play, and when I say 'cat' I'm referring to my husband.

I'm lucky though. My husband leaves on business only about once a year. (I'm sure lots of you are screaming at your computer screen about how I should quit crying in my tomato soup and get over myself, that your husband is gone all the time.)

We all know it's hard though, doing everything; dinner and dishes, baths, books and bedtime. There is no split shifts, it's just you and well, you. But for me, what seems to be worse than the pressure of doing it all, is the jealousy of him doing all that other stuff.

Sure, it's a business trip, but what happens after five?

Where's my dinner at where ever in the world I want as long as it doesn't have a kids' menu? Where's my going to a mid-week chic flick? Where's my complimentary breakfast I bring up to my room to eat in bed?

Where's my little trip away? Where's my fancy hotel?

Then I got a text from my husband's most recent trip with this picture:


Yep, that's his fancy motel room (the creepy kind with the front door going to the parking lot). Yes, that's a mini-fridge on top of the dresser, with a microwave on top of that. And oh yes, that's a baby bed bug breeder velour Harley Davidson blanket on the bed.

This picture helped.

It at least put a damper on the jealousy...

a bite bit.

14 comments:

Steph said...

lol! I SOOOO get that! While my hubs is in Alabama for 3+ months doing school work up the wah-zoo and I know he's missing us like crazy, I tell him.... just remember that I am jealous. Jealous that you can read all day, sleep all night, watch anything other than a cartoon, make a quiet phone call... the list goes on and on!

Liz Mays said...

He checked in there just to shut you up, didn't he? ;)

Galit Breen said...

Hee! I hear you, girl!

All I think about is the flight where he can sleep and eat in peace.

Le sigh.

:)

simplicity said...

Umm ICK! haha What a room!

Murdock's mama said...

This is hilarious! I was totally with you...then I saw that photo...EWW EWW EWW! I would rather be home playing single mama! :)

Marie said...

Here I was, reading this post, dreaming of a night alone. You know, the swanky hotel room a king-size bed, uninterruped sleep and room service.

Then I saw the picture. GROSS!!! Now I feel sorry for him.

An Imperfect Momma said...

man I was getting upset for you. That picture. Wow. Feel sorry for him. But not too much as you have the kids to wrangle

Heather B said...

I'm one of the "lucky" ones that gets to do it all by myself...all of the time. Being a single mom is the toughest job under the sun, especially when said kid is a pre-teen girl. (heaven help me). but when I finally get some time for myself...I know I go big. Vegas anyone??

L. Shanna said...

My wonderful husband travels about 80% of the time, and every time I get a text message from some swanky sushi dinner "meeting", a part of me dies inside. The only thing keeping me going is the frequent flyer miles that he's racking up... First class to Thailand IS happening.

amanda said...

ha!!! soooo not screaming!! but laughing!! that is just all sorts of awesome!! i only wish joe got stuck at crap places like that! right now? he is living it up in nyc at some big fancy smancy thing where alicia keys will soon be performing!! ugh!!

Emmy said...

Wow--for real what is with that blanket. Yea I might be afraid to sleep there

Shan said...

Filing that away in my WTH?!? list of places to avoid. It's right up there with the "hotel" we stayed at on our biennial drive to Chicago. Somewhere in Texas. Mattresses stacked against random walls in the hall. Slider that wouldn't re-close after Corey opened it (which was especially awesome since they'd just had their worst snow storm in a decade and it was about four degrees outside). Funky smell. Plastic liners on the beds AND the pillows, which were covered with bleach-soaked sandpaper linens. I digress.

*shudder*

Unknown said...

Lmao!!! I had NO clue that was a blanket--what the hell?!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! That's a motel room? Kinda looks more like my brother in laws over-the garage spare room, lol. Did you de-cootie-fy him when he got home?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...