Tuesday, February 7, 2012

the bigger the snack, the harder the fall

The most vivid lie I remember ever telling my parents was about me and a Rubik's cube. I sat in a swivelled chair, facing the corner, peeling colored stickers off and placing them back in right color order. I ran to my mom shouting that I 'did it myself!'. Though it was probably so obvious to my parents; the nail scratches, the corners pushed up, I thought at four years old, I'd gotten away with it.

I thought 'my parents officially know I am a genius.'

It took me over a week to finally admit to lying to them. (Or at least it felt like a week, I was 4 for goodness sakes, details are fuzzy.)

But yes, I was one stubborn genius child (a trait that my husband would say has only gotten stronger with age).

::

So, Wyatt sat in his seat from preschool going on and on about 'how hungry he was'. He then paused and started to tell me about how he didn't get a snack. Then he decided that wasn't enough, but that the whole school didn't get a snack.

He tells me "No one got a snack today, Mom. No one! No one in my classroom, no one in any of the classrooms!" He motions along with this like it's the end of the world.

I thought it was pretty strange, I mean, I pay $180 a month for a snack to be included, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. "Really?" I replied. "Don't you guys usually have a snack? Did you run out of time?

It was like I was his pawn... "Yes!" he shouted, "we ran out of time!".

"You must be starving then, I'll fix lunch as fast as I can." I respond.

I think I could physically see him deflate from the backseat.

Unknown to me, his plan for a snack before lunch didn't work. He reacted badly to this news. He started to get mad at stuff that well, usually makes him mad.

"My shirt is all wet (sobbing), I HATE my shirt! Why did you pick out this shirt for me?"

I snapped, "don't say hate and why in the world is your shirt all wet?"

"I spilled all my water," Wyatt whined back.

"Well, when did you have water?" I asked.

"At snack time"... that sort of tapers off to not being audible.

busted

Turns out it was even a huge snack, with granola bars, string cheese and water, which sort of makes me even a little bit more mad. The bigger the snack, the harder the fall.

So, Wyatt sat on the step in a time out as I made lunch. As he climbed the stairs after the timer went off, I then told him the story of my lie of pulling off the stickers of the Rubik's cube.

And when I finished, when I hoped for this big ah-ha moment from Wyatt, all he wanted to know 'why in the world would I have told the truth?'

Apparently, getting away with a lie would have been way more impressive to the storyline.

9 comments:

L. Shanna said...

I think I told the exact same Rubik's Cube lie to my parents when I was a kid! Hilarious-- Wyatt is a smart cookie :)

amanda said...

i always feel so bad when your posts leave me giggling. bc i know, i so know that in the moment they are so not funny. especially when they are happening to you!

oh how i adore your boys.

and that sweet e of course - i am counting on her to be just as funny :)

Galit Breen said...

Hee! Love this!

Also? Switching the colors = genius idea! :)

An Imperfect Momma said...

hahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!! Your kids are freaking awesome

Marie said...

I am falling over in a fit of giggles. This is such a great post. Your Wyatt and my Murray would be trouble with a capital 'T' if they ever met. :)

Liz Mays said...

He is an endless supply of goodness! (Well, in this case it's badness.)

Emmy said...

Oh we try so hard as parents don't we- only for them to turn it around on us just like that. Too funny

Xazmin said...

Nice.

I think EVERYONE did that with their Rubik's Cube!

Lying...it's a tricky business. Luckily most of us realize that it's not a good thing and we outgrow it!!

dahozho said...

Wow. Is this an actual developmental stage or what? Smallfry has been having similar snack issues. He announces when I pick him up from preschool that he is going to eat for a snack when he gets home. I try to give him the snack in the car, because usually, I'm beginning dinner prep when we get in the door. He refuses.

THEN, he remembers the snack wish FIVE MINUTES prior to dinner being ready. Dinner is then delayed 30-45 minutes because of the meltdown/time outs necessary to get him to the idea that it is past time snacks, DINNER is ready.

Sigh. This has gone on for three evenings now.

He's getting pretty good at the lying now as well. After his Sunday school last week, his teacher mentioned that he had a lot of difficulty listening and had been "hitting his friends." So I'm attempting to talk to him about this and he looks at me with big eyes and demands, "Hitting? Who said that?" (At almost 4. I am in for such a ride) Armed with the information and using the first rule of cross-examination (don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to), I finally got the story out of him. OY!!

Development of the strong-willed child-- just swinging between joy & despair...

To quote a Ghostbusters line-- I think getting these two together would be BAD. (Wyatt & Smallfry)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...