Wednesday, March 7, 2012

big dreamer

I'm not good at playing with my kids. I'm not saying I don't, I'm just saying I'm not good at sitting there, legs crossed, getting down and dirty on the hardwood floor, and playing on their level of imagination.

It doesn't help that Henry, our big dreamer, wants to make things like pretend atomic bombs or solar paneled windmills to flush the toilet for him. Some things are just impossible for me to wrap my head around and I get frustrated that I can't explain to him why it's not possible for us to do such and such.

My husband is so much better at this; he listens, cheers him on for being so creative in his thinking, and then turns to YouTube to see what ideas they can come up with... and they can spend the next hour or so looking at videos of go-carts and LED lights.

So, this weekend, when Henry asked me to play Lego's with him, I almost teared up, saying: "Yes! I can play Lego's with you". This is something (finally) doable.

And what does a totally creative, big dreamer, think outside the box, kind of mom like me make with Lego's and her 8 year old son?

A little shopping center; complete with a bowling alley, flower shop, fire station and of course, a Target.


What kind of town would it be without a Target?

(I can't even imagine the horror of that nightmare.)

15 comments:

L. Shanna said...

Hilarious! Not sure a town can legally be called a town without a Target. Pretty sure it's a law.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

A mom's gotta do what she needs to survive!

Marie said...

You made very pretty flowers next to Target.

Legos, I can do. In fact, I often get a bit obsessed and take some of the fun away from Murray. Where did you find the Target Legos? I must have them. Immediately.

Duh, Target, I suppose. But you have much better Targets in the cities than we have in Moorhead. Roseville Target is like Disney World for me.

Galit Breen said...

Cute, fun, and Target inclusive? I'm so in! :)

amanda said...

uhm i am sorry they have target legos??? where can i get my hands on a set???

and you know why i love mn so much right? (i mean besides you living there) my first ever trip to target :) awww memories.

miss you friend - hope all is well!!

MommyLisa said...

I remember when I moved to Indianapolis - I was in a PANIC there would not be a Target close to my house. I had to drive 20 minutes the first year I lived there, but then I moved closer to Target and it was much better.

Emmy said...

Awe! I am right there with you, Lucas is totally playing what things he is inventing and will talk a million miles and hour about how he is going to build it and my eyes just start going buggy-- but Eric is great about listening and encouraging.

simplicity said...

We are in the thick of legos over here too. And I agree, it's something I can do. Love that he made a Target.

I also love that we both have Henry's :)

Shan said...

Exactly! Even our town has a Target. In fact, there are four towns up here and we all have one except for the bad place. Never realized that was the dividing line.

Shan said...

Oh, and the playing thing? *Totally* with you.

The Accidental Somebody said...

I totally understand where you're coming from - I'm not good at playing with my kids, never have been. I struggled with guilt over that for a long time until I realized my mom didn't play with me and I didn't end up a serial killer. And what's a town without a Target? A Wal Mart town...BOOOOO!!! I do miss having a Target nearby!

saucersrus said...

Sure you can how far did we have to drive to get to a Target growing up?? Like almost 100 miles!!

Target if the number one land mark mentioned in the movie We Bought a Zoo and totally made me think of Frankville!!

renegademothering said...

I'm still impressed you got on the floor and played with them. If I read A BOOK, I figure I'm good. You know, for a week or so. Kidding.

No but really, I suck at it. Used to feel all kinds of guilt about it, then I found things we can do together...like bake sweet, fattening things. We both like it. And there's sugar involved. Win win.

Laural Out Loud said...

My kids' imaginations are way more advanced than mine! Now, if they ever need help with a math problem or want to learn how to do a budget, I'm their man! I'm so thankful that my husband is on their same creative level and helps them do all the fun stuff they'd be missing out on if it was just me around here.

Unknown said...

LEGO TARGET??? I love it, you rock!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...