Thursday, March 22, 2012

lather, rinse, repeat

It's one of those weeks were everything feels like you've done it before.

I've sat in on the same library story time for seven years now. I've done the same 'baby shark' song some million times in my life, or so it feels. I've hovered over the bouncy house at the Rec Center the same way that I did seven years ago. I've wiped the kitchen table probably a billion times, the same way every day, every meal, cleaning from top to bottom... that phrase still runs through my head all the time and whoever owes it, I want to slap them.

This kind of week puts me on auto.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Henry moans over chores that he has to do, "when do I get to take a break from making my bed?"

I snap back at him "I don't like making your breakfast everyday, but I have to, it's just something I have to do!" I'm too harsh and I regret it immediately.

But it gets under my skin. Sometimes you just don't get a break.

By the third child, and I'm saying this in all honesty, there are things that lose their luster.

Because I've done it all before.

But I do the story times, the bouncy houses, the Laurie Berkner, the parks, because they are new to her.

And in this blog, I've been blogging for four years and when I sit down to type something up, it feels like I've written it before. 'It's the same shit I've done before, maybe I should just link it up and be done with it.'

But I'm better than that. Or so I want to believe I am... so I haven't posted.

Maybe I've taken a break from the one thing that I can take break from.

A little less lather, rinse, repeat.

13 comments:

momto8 said...

unfortunately I understand completely!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Liz Mays said...

You've been blogging for 4 years? Girl, you're superhuman! Bloggers fall by the wayside right and left though, so the people who read you probably haven't heard your great tales yet!

But the monotony of daily life can be hard to take. I agree with that.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean...not so much with the blogging, but with life in general. I feel like every day is the same screaming, fighting, crying. Why can't my kids just get along?

Aryn said...

I've missed you! And I totally understand...I think EVERYONE feels this way some days, no matter what they do, and whether they're a parent or not. But try to remember the other days you when something funny or sweet happens and the lights are all green and the Diet Coke is like gold and you are the person who gets to experience it all.
Plus, you're too funny to stop blogging. People never get tired of laughing and you, dear sister, make me laugh.

freddielyle said...

This is absolutely me right now! I never wanted the words "how many times do I have to tell you?" to ever come out of my mouth. Unfortunately, with my active 4 year old who has a tendency to think mommy talking to him is just an annoying hum in the background of his life soundtrack, I say it waaay too often!! Then, as I'm typing this, he does something the first time I ask! Wow. What a kid! :) I think he's on a mission to send me to the nut house!

simplicity said...

I get it and hear you. Hoping this spring weather breathes new life into the whole mothering journey for you, Beth! I've missed seeing your stories and take on life!

darcie said...

I was just thinking about you yesterday, how quiet you've been.

Same song...different verse?

Sure, you've been there, done that. But not thru her eyes...And I'd be most of us are willing to come along for the ride!
xxoo

4luvandlife said...

That's a lot of honesty. I like that. I have really enjoyed your writing and look forward to more. I think there are a lot of new experiences still coming.

Shan said...

Oh, way to guilt a mom who has said Hell no, I won't go! too many times.
I just realized a couple weeks ago that we don't actually *talk to* Fynn about everything like we used to with Mad and like I did with Corey. We're going through a just-freaking-get-it-done! phase around here. Nice.

Nicole said...

I have totally used that same kind of response when my kids complain about their chores. Or I offer to trade them! Way to keep blogging! Four years is a good bit of time!

Emmy said...

It must be in the air-- as yea, it does start to feel like the blog is something I have to do-- but yet I still love it.

And I wish I could feel like I was doing the same thing again and again-- we move so often that even the same old seems new as it is in a new location way too often

Marie said...

Oh, Beth, I'm stuck in a rut, too. A different kind of rut, but still, I'm stuck.

I'll be thinking of you as you navigate this time.

Best to you!

Marie

Anonymous said...

My baby is turning 18 in three weeks, i would give anything to get back story time ect...... enjoy it while you can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...