Tuesday, March 27, 2012

closer

I don't know what possessed me, but I bought something from Oriental Trading Co., which means that I (willingly) put myself on lists to get some of the crappiest catalogs known to man.

I should back up, are you familiar with Oriental Trading Company? It's a catalog company that sells plastic crap in the form of foam fingers, with discount pricing on ordering multiples. I'm pretty sure their slogan is something like 'we sell China' umm, I mean... 'we sell fun'.

And that's exactly the trap that my boys have fallen into.

They leaped across the counter to grab the catalog from the pile of mail before I had the chance to throw it into the recycling.

Henry stared at the catalog, mouth slightly hanging open, "whaaaat's this?" (I swear, I can see a slight bit of drool too).

I tried to downplay it; "it's just a catalog, it's full of junk..."

It was pointless though, he was already thumbing through the pages.

And out of the million and one pieces of crap in the catalog, what does he point out that he'd loved to have?


The life-sized inflatable palm tree. (Poor Henry, he has some weird obsession with palm trees and here he is, living in the tundra of ol' Minnesota).

Wyatt grabs the catalog out of Henry's hands and points to the palm tree on the back page.

"No way! We should get this one!" He waved a picture in front of us, it's the (slightly smaller) inflatable palm tree in pool cooler.


He continues "Mom, this would be a great idea. You could finally get rid of our freezer and put all our drink in there with the ice instead. It would be perfect for your drinks... we could use it at your parties!"

Did you notice how he mentions drinks and parties and getting rid of a kitchen appliance?

Geesh, this kid sure does know how to close a sale.

12 comments:

Liz Mays said...

When I first became an adult, I bought crap from all the crap catalogs. I guess I was still used to crap from being a kid. And Oriental Trading was a good friend of mine. I gave it all up after a while, but when it came time to buying birthday party favors and classroom party favors, I called on the OT again!

westmetromommy said...

I've been wanting that cooler palm tree since last summer. We have no actual need for it--but, if we had it, maybe we WOULD have a need!

Yes, the Oriental Trading Company is total crack....

amanda said...

honey i don't even know how to tell you this...but i literally have that palm tree! the big one. and two mini ones. we bought them for lilly's beach bash two years ago. seriously i am laughing so hard right now. bc we have the store. like the catalog come to life. and we just couldn't pass them up!!

can we still be friends?

Marie said...

This is too funny. I think marketing is in Wyatt's future!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Hilarious!

Well, I don't know which is funnier, the fact that he wants the tree, or the fact that he thinks you can get rid of your freezer and replace it with the blow up cooler/palm tree combo.

What about the One Step Ahead catalog. The hubby calls it "Baby Sky Mall!"

Shan said...

Girl, I'm pretty sure you just saved my *life*! I was about to order drawstring bags and flashlights from them! Phew! Thanks. (I hate junk mail. No, really. Yes, that much.)

Smart boy you've got there!

Emmy said...

Lol! He is very clever. I usually try not to look at the Oriental Trading Company catalog as it is just too tempting for me :)

Laural Out Loud said...

I bought something from a Pottery Barn catalog and got on some sort of list. I love it though- throw a magazine full of crap at my 7-year-old and it'll keep her quiet for at least an hour! Then it just mysteriously disappears so we can't buy any of the things she's circled. Win for mom!

Galit Breen said...

Hee! Step *away* from the catalogue, boys!

(Although yes, he does make some excellent points! :))

An Imperfect Momma said...

Ha! That is some sneaky junk

momto8 said...

haha..this is funny. I am on your kids program...I think it would be a great idea to get rid of your freezer and put all your drinks in that plam tree.

The Accidental Somebody said...

First Oriental Trading Co...next Playboy.

Enjoy it while it lasts... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...