Tuesday, January 31, 2012

half-assed, half marathon

There are things in our lives that make us think "oh, crap, what did I just get myself into". This just happens to be one of those things...

I signed up for a half marathon.

eek

Having to just say the word marathon freaks me out a bit. OK, more that just a bit, but I'm just going to concentrate on the half part.

The logical side of me was like this:

"It says right here that walkers are welcomed, as long as I can finish in 4 hours... I can finish in 4 hours, umm, right?"

"And the site says the course is slopey (or something to me that reads 'not too hilly'). I like flat runs."

"I'll get a medal if I finish. I like medals too."

"I can put one of those 13.1 miles stickers on my minivan... no one will have to know that I walked the whole thing"

"I just dropped 80 bucks on this race, there is no way that I can back out. (That's the same price as a new microwave!)"

So, I'm doing a half marathon, more for the medal and the bumper sticker than anything, but still... I'm doing it. (I think)

And yes, should I reiterate what so many others say? "If I can do it, so can you!" Especially if you plan on finishing just under the 4 hour, closing it down, mark with me.

Not that I've done 'it' yet.

'It' being the half-assed, half marathon.

Hold me.

14 comments:

amanda said...

i am so so so proud of you. but for the record this is on my absolute things i will never ever do list.

but you know you are cooler than me. so it belongs on your to do list. and you will do amazing!

can't wait to see your medal :)

Mrs. M said...

You are going to do great. I have walked 2 half marathons (and one marathon)....tiring stuff to be proud of. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm doing a 5k for the t-shirt. That's not a lie. Whatever gets you out there, right? Now you go and walk their socks off!

Jenni said...

Congrats Beth! The 7k I'm doing comes with a free beer afterward, but a medal is nice too :)

L. Shanna said...

Umm... the thought of doing 13.1 miles... in any amount of time... is crazy to me. You are awesome!

Liz Mays said...

You can do this thing, although the word slopey is really freaking me out on your behalf!

An Imperfect Momma said...

you can totally do this!! Yes...for all us lazy people out there!

Emmy said...

So awesome!! You can do it!!

There is a half coming up that a lot of my friends are doing but you "have to run the whole thing". It is also said to be one of the fastest halfs in the country as the whole thing is downhill- no joke. But I chickened out and haven't signed up. I want to do a 10K before I do a half.

Shan said...

You *can* do it! I have a marathon medal and the memories that remind me I can get through anything tough (that has a cap on how long it can take).

Shan said...

Oh, and the money was a major factor in my not backing out, too!

Galit Breen said...

Go you!! That is FABULOUS- I'm so impressed!!

Aryn said...

Oh you will rock it. I'm certain you will kill my time (which was under 3, so 4? Psssh.) And really it goes by surprisingly fast and the medal and sticker ARE super cool. Way to go, B!!!!!!

4luvandlife said...

You rock!

busana muslim said...

Very good article. Congratulations.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...