Wednesday, July 13, 2011

so... I didn't die

When I signed up for my first 5K race, I thought: what's the worst thing that can happen... I walk it, I suppose, it's not like I'm going to die walking 3 miles. So I jumped on a treadmill, and when I say 'jumped' I mean I stood on a treadmill for the first time in my life and turned the thing on. I proceeded to walk on the treadmill, albeit a fast walk, but a walk, because I never felt like I could actually let go of the bar and start running on it for a few weeks (yes, weeks). The idea of 'running' on the treadmill seemed absolutely crazy.

But then I tried it, I started running.

And that was two and a half years ago.

So, I ran my first 10K this weekend, and I was in the mindset again, what's the worst thing that can happen?

Apparently lack of water stations, humidity and a post race meal of a donut can cause severe cramping, diarrhea, headaches and just plain old suckyness to the rest of your day. So, this is the worst thing that can happen.

But at least I didn't die.


And I didn't walk it either.


*race results, I think I got 17th place for the 30-39 division at a slow 10 mile speed, ugh.

14 comments:

Mnmom said...

You go girl!! The last time I tried running I think I caused an earthquake. It's just better for the earth's crust if I walk.

Mrs. M said...

I don't think I would even try it so kudos to you lady!!

LutherLiz said...

10 min miles are nothing to sneeze at...coming from the girl who does them at 20 min.

Congrats!

Liz Mays said...

The middle ground sounds safe to me. I'm all for that! Good job!

Mimi N said...

That's awesome IMHO! I would've died just going over the starting line! I get a sideache just walking down my driveway to get my mail!

~Mimi

citymouse said...

Bravo! Running is one of those things I tell myself I want to do but never do. I have been thinking about starting on a treadmill though... Lord knows I need to do SOMETHING!

MommyLisa said...

How awesome. You rock it - and I hardly believe it was the donuts fault. ;)

4luvandlife said...

Cool post B. I am very proud of you. (I didn't know you walked for weeks at the start, and now your a runner, pretty cool).

Anti-Supermom said...

And it's the first time reading my post on my computer, lol. Sorry for the typos, friends.

And thank you for all your kind words, all (certainly) too kind!

amanda said...

dude you are awesome. seriously awesome.

and you know what? i suck. bc i literally just realized today is friday! ugh. i guess i need some of those days of the week underwear!!

how's the weekend look?

Shan said...

Congratulations! I've never run a 10k. I did come in second in a 5k once. (Okay, fine. Yes, there were only two women in my age range. And she jogged past me while I was trying to cajole Corey into finishing... about a block before the finish. I could have been number one! Argh!)

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Congratulations!! That is so awesome!!

Emmy said...

But hey you did it!! Last time I ran a mile I almost threw up- so yea you are awesome in my eyes :)

Unknown said...

Um, hello? You did AWESOME!!

Seriously. I'm proud of you honey!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...