Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm not a helicopter mom

Just in case there was any confusion out there, I'm not a helicopter mom (gasp!). I don't hover above my children wondering if they are eating dirt or sticking each other in the eyeballs (because if they are, one of them will tattle on the other, no question).

So, I just found out about this book called Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do).Yes, it's a real book. Thanks, Benji!

And then I decided to check on my progress a few off my list:

1) Spend an hour blindfolded. Technically no, I haven't done this, but I *have* wished they were blindfolded and perhaps mouths taped for (at least) an hour on certain days. I'll give myself a partially complete.

2) Deconstruct an appliance.
Have you met Henry? Then you are familiar with his closet and his consumption of everything that breaks in our house. Umm, check.

3) Play with fire.
See the answer for number 4

4) Throw a spear.
Well, if you must know, Henry and Wyatt like to play with flaming spears when we are done roasting marshmallows. I'm not saying that they 'throw' them so much as 'toss' them around... don't judge me.

So, check and check.

5) Super glue your fingers together.
Does hot glue count? If so, yes.

6) Lick a 9-volt battery.

Wait. What? Doesn't every parent let their kid do this?

Only 44 more to go!



Original photos published here.

12 comments:

Emmy said...

I totally remember licking a 9- volt battery all the time when I was little- loved that tingle :)

MommyLisa said...

icky - I remember licking batteries too. blech....why did I do that?

Mrs. M said...

Keep up this progress and you'll be done in no time! :)

amanda said...

i still might tear up just thinking about the day my dad made me lick a battery to see if it had any juice left :)

Liz Mays said...

You're well on your way. I'm so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Hilarious!

And I've never licked a battery--am I missing out?

Mnmom said...

And every kid just HAS to take a giant taste of the unsweetened chocolate. It's a rite of passage.

Stesha said...

Wait... what if they throw the spear at me? It's bound to happen. I know my kids:)

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

darcie said...

HAHA!
Yes, yes...helicopter parenting...my children most definately eat dirt and poke each other with flaming sticks from the bonfire...and I do let them - it's how they learn right? But it's the OTHER people, the ones that I actually want to poke with hot sticks that get under my skin and bring out my helicopterishisms! xoxo

Shan said...

Dude, I'm totally down with this list (seems like I read a much shorter version a few years ago?).
I was going to say that Fynnie hasn't eaten dirt, only dog food, but then I remembered that trip to the park a couple weeks ago. Probably too young for the 9-volt though. Right?

Blogs said...

I agree with the author. I admire your work. Thanks a lot for sharing this. how to get out of chexsystems

justme said...

I'm commenting here, because I love this post! I can totally relate. Sometimes I think we get a bit too carried away with our "don'ts".

In response to your comment on my latest entry about Wyatt and Monkey being long lost brothers: Does Wyatt also obsess over things like death, traffic, and sharks? And in regards to the licking thing, yes, Monkey has put virtually in his mouth or rubbed it on his lips since he was born. (Yes, he rubs things on his lips-stuffed animals, toys, you name it.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...