Friday, July 2, 2010

a public service announcement

Perhaps not really a public service announcement, but when we bought our house we must have walked through it with rosy colored (umm, smoke hazed) glasses. I can't say that I've never smoked a cigarette (and I will delete this post the minute my oldest son learns how to read in English and deny anything was ever written like this) in my much younger years, but this completely makes me sick to my stomach.

This is the farthest bedroom from the living room, the place where the previous owners smoked all. the. time. In fact, there were two smoke rings on the ceiling from where they sat on counter stool watching their 9" television.


I'm slightly embarrassed to say we will be here for 5 years next month and we just didn't realize how yellowed everything was from the their smoking or we just got use to it (but I'm happy to report that this was the last room to paint).

So PSA - don't smoke. Alternative PSA - don't buy houses that are dimly lit and smell like what you think is just that 'older people smell'.

10 comments:

Emmy said...

Well at least they just smoked cigarettes. Saw a house one time that had yellow walls from some other recreational smoking.

KristinFilut said...

It's gross what smoke does.

Mrs. M said...

Ugh - but you will love all the white now!!

Shan said...

Yeck! But at least you're taking care of it now. Just last night I was thinking about our "next" house (whenever that will be). One thing we'll be checking out is if the light switches are located in sensible places or not. We've been here 15 months and both still try to turn on the office light on the right (but it's behind the door on the left) and have to fumble to find the switch to our room (it's perfectly centered on the wall... why?).

Not Everyones Mama said...

EW! Gross! The white is nice though! When I was with my ex-husband we used to smoke in the house and I was slightly disgusted when we cleaned the walls. Plus, when I smoked in my car, the color of the paper towel when I cleaned the windshield. All that and more, in my lungs. Ew.

Mnmom said...

Imagine what their lungs look like! I hate cigarettes.

@ly said...

If this is what it is doing to the house...imagine what it does to your health. Yuk and don't feel bad about just getting around to it...we are all in the same boat!

Vanessa said...

Yick.

Rebecca said...

I wonder what the inside of their lungs look like and if you can paint over that.

Jen said...

Gross.

Another PSA: Don't buy a townhouse that connects to three other townhouses owned by smokers. The corner where all four of our units comes together wreaks of smoke when our central air is on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...