Monday, December 21, 2009

mother's tree

I grew up with two Christmas trees. That's right, one in the living room with all those weirdo kid ornaments on it, that were made from Popsicle sticks, yarn and glitter with our picture glued somewhere in the middle; and in the den, our second tree, my mother's tree.

She decorated generally in themes, one year she even pulled out her treasured porcelain dolls. Those little dolls sat nestled among lace and floral baby's breath in the tree branches with their creepy glass eyes staring down at you as you tried to peek through the corner of the wrapped gifts (like they were going to tell on me or something, darn dolls).

So as an adult, I've opted out of getting two trees,
but I have tried to keep my tree 'themed' (err, sans kid-made ornaments).

It has worked well for the past five year, until Sunday. Wyatt made an ornament at Sunday school; glitter, smiley head and all. I hung it on a magnet and stuck it on the fridge. I walked away thinking no one would be the wiser.

But the gig is up.

He yanked it off the fridge and put it on the tree all by himself. Adding insult to injury, Henry came home from school and just 'had' to make one just like Wu's.


So, now I have this absolutely perfectly shaped, beautifully decorated tree with two kid-made ornaments hanging (near the bottom) of the tree.

Ba humbug, I'll miss my mother's tree.

17 comments:

Carma Sez said...

Our entire tree pretty much looks like the bottom of your tree :D

amanda said...

and this is why i have six trees :)

Wisconsin Parent said...

Oh god, we have three of those and they keep moving towards the back wall. Want to borrow our cat? Just put more ribbon on it and voila! Packaging material. Better yet, better keep our cat until next year, just in case.

Wisconsin Parent said...

Oh god, we have three of those and they keep moving towards the back wall. Want to borrow our cat? Just put more ribbon on it and voila! Packaging material. Better yet, better keep our cat until next year, just in case.

kayerj said...

my kids love hanging the "memory" ornaments every year.

I have 5 trees

3 alpines that are pretty and untouchable

1 snowman tree with colored lights, a variety of snowflakes and snowmen. This is where we hang the memory ornaments

1 grandkid tree (a small alpine) this tree can be decorated and undecorated as many times as the little ones want to.

We're all happy!

Shandal said...

I'm going to have to get me a 2nd tree when my kids start school!

Capital Mom said...

Maybe you shoould tell the kids about the traditional tree rotation. The tree gets rotated every night until all the kid ornaments are at the back on Xmas morning. :-)
But what do I know. Our tree only has kid ornaments on it.

Rebecca said...

I like your kids' tree better than any themed tree!

Emmy said...

Lol! We had the same thing happen this year too! My kids have a little tree upstairs so I am hoping we can transfer the ornaments there. :)

Working Mommy said...

LOL! My parents (mostly my mom) still hang all of those dang things I made every single friggin year in school!! Whatever makes them happy, I suppose!

~WM

Shan said...

When I was a kid, we had two, too. One plastic, "life-sized" one full of tinsel and garland and whatever ornaments happened to be hiding under that crap, and one small real one. The real one was for us kids. Go figure.

jen said...

one. i've given up completely on trying to keep it all organized and pretty. because ... honestly ... what i think is a beautiful tree doesn't hold the memories of what really is beautiful.
and my girly-girls just think that if they have something on there ... then it IS beautiful.
right?

Anonymous said...

LoL! We have a lovely decorated tree too ... that includes a lined paper drawing of an angel, a wood decoration that says merry Christmas (that doesn't match any of the other decorations) and some random envelopes and snowflakes made out of printer paper stuck within the branches. It's awesome. I guess we can only enjoy it for a few years then one day we'll look back and miss the little kid-treasures on the tree :)

Heidi said...

You'll never have a really well themed tree again.
That is so funny about your mom's tree. My mom also has multiple trees, as in 5. She even has a grandkid tree now. And she puts about 30, yes I said 30, strands of lights on each tree.
It takes her a while to get her Christmas every year.
I am in the process of getting a kid tree because those "adorable" homemade ornaments are taking over my cute snowman tree.
So are you going to give in and get a kid tree?

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

My tree has the kiddy stuff on it, too. I guess I've never been much for the theme:)

Mrs. M said...

Just get a tiny one next year the kids can hang their own ornaments on. A tiny tree isn't really like a second tree, right? :)

Allison said...

The same exact thing happened to me this year although Spencer's was a painted popsicle stick Christmas tree. It went right up in the middle of my blue and silver tree...next year, he gets his own tree!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...