Tuesday, August 4, 2009

pretty normal


It was just a pretty normal Saturday for us. We were sitting on the patio of this little ice cream shop. The shop is simply quaint; there are gumball machines lined in the front window; red and white stripes adorn the tables, the chairs, maybe even the walls; and the menu's cover has a picture of the owner's mother and father on their wedding day, as a tribute. You can't get much more 'Americana' than this place or with us; sipping our malts, sitting on the patio, soaking up those yellow rays bouncing off the view of the river.

Wyatt and Henry were playing a game of chase around a tree only they stop each time around for a taste of our malts. Henry had claimed my husband's for sharing, lucky for him because Henry is the only child on this green earth to dislike ice cream (or pizza or chocolate... and yes, if I didn't push his little squished head out, between my legs, I wouldn't probably believe he was mine). Henry takes tiny bites. Wyatt, on the other hand, loves ice cream (and Popsicles, pudding, chocolate...). Each lap completed was a bigger spoonful of ice cream for Wu.

As he was running faster and faster around the tree with Henry, the ice cream started to miss his mouth more and more, landing on the concrete in little melted ice cream puddles.

On one of his laps, he discovered these puddles.

Wyatt: "What's that, Momma?"

Me: "It's ice cream, silly."

He gets down on his hands and knees to inspect it, like he does when he spies a little ant running across the sidewalk. He asks again:

"What's that?"

"It's ice cream, you spilled it."

Wyatt responds "Oh."

He continues to lower his head, further investigating the ice cream puddles. He then moves over a little bit. I looked down,

he licked up one of his ice cream puddle

and he was moving onto the next puddle.

I screamed "Yucky! No Wu, Momma's got ice cream right here," frantically shaking my tin cup. I attempted to pull him up by his arms as he fought to lick more of the ice cream off the concrete. At that moment, I'm sure I heard the hearts of the four grandmas sitting next to our table simultaneously stop beating.

This licking-any-kind-of-germ-infested-surface is pretty normal, right? Because I can not accept being responsible for the deaths of grandmas all over the world because of my two year old's licking addiction.

*

I'm the Featured Friend today over here - go say hello.

Pretty please.

22 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

My little man is licking EVERYTHING right now!

Amelia Sprout said...

I am sure that isn't the worst thing that he could put in his mouth by a long shot. The grandma's need to remember to breathe.

Stephanie said...

That is so normal! My nephew actually screams "5 second rule"...and it's clearly been a minute!

LutherLiz said...

LOL. At least he didn't get the ants too! :)

Tamara Dawn said...

LOL yesssss this is totally normal! Gross, but normal!

JaelCustomDesigns said...

* Visiting from SITS

Hilarious, I think it's a boy thing! Very normal though... I have 2 girls and 2 boys and the boys keep me running behind them screaming way more than the girls do. Lol

Patrice said...

lol that is too funny, but totally normal! I read on another blog that their kid did this, too, so no worries! Hopefully the grandmas will recover...

Dame Nuisance said...

Here's the thing - what I'm about to tell you will either make you laugh in relief or pull your hair out in despair: I have an almost-six year old girl who licked the shopping cart handle the other day at the store ...

Capital Mom said...

It is totally acceptable. My girl is going through a liking her feet phase. At the park the other day I caught her putting her toes in the hummous container and liking it off. No grandmas died in that incident though.

Jeanette said...

Licking is so normal!!!! My licker is now 24 and married. He hasn't been sick in years. I fully attribute that to the fact that he licked up every germ on the planet in is early years. Ok, maybe not, but that's the story I'm sticking to today.

Enjoying you Blog by the way.

amanda said...

omg honey that is awesome!! love it!!

but the best part? i have actually eaten there!! seriously. don't be surprised if i show up on your doorstep later this summer :)

RuensOnTheRun said...

Funny! I bet at least one of those Grandma's have a child or grandchild who has done the exact same thing!

Allison said...

Your blog is absolutely hilarious! I found you through Mad Boastings and am so glad I did!

My son is 4 and still puts the most disgusting things in his mouth. He's picky about eating food but will eat his boogers no problem! Gross!

Elle Superstar said...

hiya, found you through featured friend over at cheapskate mom's, lol. i'm not a mom, but i'm an aunt and i love hearing funny kiddie stories. i think i'll follow you know cuz you're pretty funny. :) if you feel so inclined, do stop by at http://btigress.blogspot.com!

Elle Superstar said...

PS. Yes, I know there is a typo in my message, but i can't edit it. {shrug} lol.

Aracely said...

my son doesn't like ice cream either... ironically he is the same one that cleans the dining table with his tongue... not the street but still pretty gross.

Heidi said...

Hello,
I happened upon your blog by checking out the Blogs of note and you were a featured blog. I laughed 'till I cried when I read your Mommy's hot post! I have three little girls and they seem to think my butt is enormous too! Do you think it could be because they have to look up at it and it's all they can see from way down at 3 foot nothing?
I liked your post on the ten second rule. To make you feel better, my three year old dropped her open faced jam sandwich on to a very dirty floor and proceeded to pick it up and lick all the jam that was left on it, off. Today after she had run rather quickly to the bathroom she informed me that she was "sick to my butt." I hope you don't mind a stranger stopping by and if you ever feel the urge stop by my blog I'm at http://cakecrumbs-heidi.blogspot.com/

Michael Reardon said...

I can tell you from personal experience that it's totally normal.

When I was 4, we had a side yard filled with little rocks.

One day I went out there and started picking them up, licking them, and throwing them down one by one.

Took a while before I was found and forbidden from licking things I found on the ground.

Gigi777 said...

omg! This is hillarious. I can't wait until my little one starts doing all this crazy boy things. Great blog by the way, I found you through Cheapsteak mom; I can't believe I was missing out on this!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That's hilarious! I think liking the ground helps for a great immune system.

Linda said...

LOL! I love this! Good for him! Aren't kids funny?

Emily said...

LOL! I have to convince my 4-year-old not to lick things or eat goopy things she has reclaimed from the floor. You'd think they'd outgrow this eventually!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...