Wednesday, September 17, 2008

pick-up

It was evening, almost 5 pm. Me, Henry and Wyatt were at what we referred to as the 'school park'. (Which it seems all kids do this; you know, not know the name of the park, but have a reference/kid name for it. We have: the boat park, the park with the ducks, the fire pole park, and the school park all within walking distance.)

Parents were picking up their children from the after-school program. The first pick-up I observed was a mother, clutching her handbag in the left, her sunglasses never leaving her face. Her daughter was hanging on the ladder readying herself to cross the monkey bars. The first thing the mother said "how did you get so dirty" (which, oh my gosh, she was crazy. This little girl only had a few pieces of mulch stuck to her ruffled socks. This mom is so lucky she doesn't have a boy). She continued "it looks like you stepped in a pile of mud" as she frantically brushes off her child's clothes, "hurry up, we have to get home".

A mere two minutes later a father grabbed his son, threw him in the air, then proceeded to rock him like a baby. The boy, who was probably 7 or 8 broke out in an incredible loud laugh at the idea of this. The father smiled and turned to one of the teachers "I think I found him, it looks like my boy". Together, they both laughed.

Having done childcare for nearly 4 years I've had a first-hand account of nearly 2,000 pick-ups. I know that sometimes you have life waiting for you in between dropping off your children and picking them up, but your true life is there at the door or at the playground, excited to see you, to share with you. Make sure they know that.

22 comments:

amanda said...

i couldn't agree with you more.

after many, many years having duty during car line after school, i have vowed to never. ever. be on the cell phone when i pick up my kids.

i can't tell you how many times i watched kids get in their car, excited to share something with their parent about their day only to be shushed.

it's heartbreaking.

Marla said...

stories like this make me so sad... no reason to be so sour... as we know they grow up fast...

Marketing Mama said...

*sniff* - that was sweet!

I try really hard to give my kids my full attention whenever I do pick ups or walk in the door at home. My toughest decision is how to greet them at the same time. The baby starts kicking and wiggling to be held, while the older one is at my feet waiting for me to bend down and hug him. I always do that first, then take the baby - but it's hard because I feel like it's not fair to her.

Any ideas? Oy.

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

This is beautiful! Gives me something to think about...

Miss Lisa said...

So true--and you one observant mommy!
I need to be more animated at these times....not just be thinking about all the junk I need to do.

Great little post!

A Crafty Mom said...

I totally and completely agree - I'm a teacher like Amanda and have seen it at school SO many times :-( I hope when my kids go to day care I remember to be the dad who threw the little boy in the air. Thanks for the reminder!!!! (Maybe I'll tie a string on my finger!).

Rachel said...

If you see the little girl with the ruffled socks again, you should let her play with your little boy. Maybe help him show her the wonders of stomping in mud puddles or catching frogs. Let that mom see what dirty really is!

4luvandlife said...

tearing up a little here :)

Anonymous said...

sooooo true.

""You have life waiting for you in between dropping off your children and picking them up, but your true life is there at the door or at the playground, excited to see you, to share with you. Make sure they know that.""

LOVE.THAT.

Vashey Fam said...

I hate the attitude that little girls shouldn't get dirty. Hopefully I won't be like that.

Laural Out Loud said...

The story of the father and his son was so heart warming! It's true- if only more people acted like that with their children.

BookMamma said...

Great post!

I am sometimes guilty of cell phone talking during a pick up. The nature of my job is if certain people call I have to pick up. Thankfully, I get lots of flexibility because of this, and it allows me to stay at home with my kids and only work part-time.

So, if its true for me, maybe its true for some other cell phone parents. I think I already know the answer to that, but its good to know there are exceptions to every scenario!

Thanks for posting.

Aracely said...

I make it a point to light up my face every time I pick up, when the face is out of batteries I greet them with a hug. I agree that it makes a huge impression on them. Great post.

Eve Grey said...

Oh wow, good post.

Rebecca said...

I wish I could have the exuberance of the father in your story, but I'm grateful that I am not like the mother. I hope for her and her daughter's sake that it was just a bad day.

Kristen said...

This post was PERFECT. Perfect!

Thank you for the reminder that they always come first! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post, wonderful message. You are so right!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and wonderful message! Right now I only have one pick up and it is preschool. I am always so eager for the hug and to hear about the day. The hard part is greeting him and getting him buckled in QUICKLY so I can get out of the way for those in line behind me. I almost wish we didn't have the car pool line and we got to walk in and get them/drop them off instead. Even thought I'd have to drag in the two little ones with me, there would be no rush.

OHmommy said...

Yeah. I have witnessed so many pick up stories.

Just makes me realize how to be a better mom to my own. I am so happy to see them.

Carol said...

I love pick up time. They're so happy to see you and I am so happy to see them.

Perfect moments.

Some parents just infuriate me.

Did you add a column? Something is different round here.

Simply Shannon said...

Great post! I've been teaching for nearly 15 years, so I can totally relate. Sometimes I forget when it's time to pick up my own child at the end of a long day dealing with everyone else's children. Thanks for the reminder!

Tyne said...

Isn't it so sad? Thanks for bringing this up, such an important topic in the development on a little one's self-image.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...