Thursday, July 31, 2008

the skirt

It's definitely not the coffee, cause it was bad, I mean really bad. It's certainly not the 'social' aspect, I worked in my own one man (umm, woman) team. There are only a few things I miss about not working 'outside' the house, as in not contained within these four walls with an equal number of children, leaving me outnumbered for nearly 12 hours a day. What I miss the most about working (and I'm going to drop the 'outside the house' part from here on out because you get it, I get it; we Moms are all still working, some just get checks deposited in the bank. Back to what I miss most about working...) is getting 'dressed up'.


I'm not one of those people that must wear makeup before leaving the house or am I one of those that wears velor jogging suits out in public. I'd like to think I'm the middle of the road here; a little bit of fuss and of course, a little bit of muss.


I worked in corporate retail, I got to dress with the best of the best, at least for the Minneapolis area. I literally rode 'their' coattails trying to look a quarter as good as they did. When it's laundry day here, I find myself reminiscing at the closet doors. The green suede skirt is calling me. It's a one-of-a-kind, soft, buttery dark green suede pencil length skirt. It was never put into production and I probably bought it for $10 at a sample sale, but nonetheless, it is one of those things that makes me wish I was still stuck in a cubicle with my plastic plants.


I slip off my stretchy pants and slip into my skirt. It doesn't look horrible with my matching sweatshirt, but I look for a replacement. I top it off with my favorite pair of black heels. Forty minutes later, I've tried on nearly all of my all of my old work clothes, have a pile of things that should be hung back up and the pile of laundry still in the basket is still there. I contemplate actually wearing the skirt, but come to my senses. I have a 15 month old that likes to throw his food in any 4 foot radius. I'm on the floor at least six times a day wiping spilt milk up from under the dining room table. I have to pin the arms down on Wyatt to change his diaper.


What, give up this glamorous job? The skirt will have to wait.

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ha ha ha! While I "work" (meaning I get the paycheck), I've been doing so from a home office. My wardrobe consists of tie-dye fleece pajama pants and rubber ducky pajama shorts. (I am wearing those right now.) I haven't missed having to put on make-up and panty hose. I don't miss my versions of the suede skirt.

I am returning to the corporate office setting next week. I had to go shopping to find dress clothes that actually fit. To be honest, I am dreading the effort of getting dressed up. We'll see how I actually feel once I do it. Maybe I'll post about it.

Miss Lisa said...

I have been at home so long now, I'm not sure what I would do in a corporate environment. As far as dressing up, I'm in Dallas--we dress up to get the mail ;)

kristine said...

I am the same. I like getting dressed up, too!

Laural Out Loud said...

I can't dress hip because I can't afford the cool clothes, lol. At work it's pretty much straight up Lane Bryant for me. At home, ahhhhh, I can finally relax. If I was skinny, I might understand the allure of dressing up for work. That skirt is definitely a good start. If anything, I can admire from afar.

Marla said...

i wish i could still fit in the clothes i wore before the kids... i do have to look nice on those days when i leave the house for work... and oh how i wish some of those close still fit :) 10 lbs babies do that to you

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Right. You just reminded me that today I accepted a part time job and have no idea at all what the dress code is! I have not worked in the corporate world in almost 4 years! I'm super excited about the job, though, and with some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, I might have to get some new duds. I think I can get by with what I've got, and I've got a pretty good feeling it'll be corporate casual, but it's one aspect I hadn't even thought about! That, and now I need to learn Quickbooks . . . fun, fun!!!

3boys247 said...

It is sad to not have to get dressed for work anymore. Sometimes I feel very overdressed at the PTO meeting or the grocery store but I don't care. I need to feel like a girl...all this testosterone is getting to me...

Briya said...

Psht...I work outside the home and sometimes, I STILL don't know what to wear.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. You should write something for me...

Unknown said...

Cute skirt! I was in the Air Force so I never got to wear cute clothes...I do miss dressing up to go out with the girls. Those were my cute clothes times :)
Happy POW!

BookMamma said...

Who knows? Maybe The Skirt will be pulled out of retirement some day. Never say never!

Me too - that's one of the things I love about working part-time. In some ways I get to have my cake and eat it too. In others I feel like I'm not doing either job well.

But one thing's for certain - you'll never have a more important job than the one you've got now!

Happy POW!

Carol said...

I miss getting dressed up too. Hooray for church on sundays. It is the one day I make the effort to look fully presentable.

McMommy said...

I TOTALLY hear ya!

I used to love getting dressed up for work. Loved all my heels.

Today,I had to attend a wake. I put on a pair of heels I used to wear to work years ago.

OUCH.

How did I used to wear those the whole day?!?

Marketing Mama said...

Fun to reminisce!

Although I totally hate having to dress up for work... but I really am not into fashion and I intentionally quit wearing skirts to work about 7 years or so ago. Hate shaving, hate nylons. hate heels. Just quit.

You'd probably puke at my wardrobe - boring corporate drone...

On weekends I wear yoga pants and t-shirts to Target and many days avoid wearing make-up, hoping I don't run into anyone.

When I was on maternity leave both times - I didn't miss dressing up once. nope. :)

A Crafty Mom said...

I totally could have written this. It's exactly what I miss the most - and putting make up on. I saw myself in a mirror today at the store and got scared. I should really dig out some make up and slap it on my face once in a while. Some days I dream of work so I could dress up. I have stuff I haven't worn in four years in my closet - and I can't believe it's been that long since I've been home with the kids!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...