Monday, July 7, 2008

bravery

I held Henry's hand as we walked up the flight of stairs. I told him he was being brave. When we reached the top of the water slide, he freaked out. 'Let's turn around'. I convinced him to watch other people going down, that they in fact were not going very fast and they did indeed look like they were having fun. We sat down in position, him between my legs, when he started screaming again 'No, No'. I stood up and pull him off to the side of the slide. I told him 'sometimes things that look really scary, aren't. Sometimes we have to do things that we might be scared of doing, but in the end, we end up loving them. We learn that they can be fun.' I ask him 'do you trust me? I will hold on to you so tight and make sure nothing happens. I really want you to trust me'. So he does. We sit back down, prepare for the lifeguard to say go when he screams yet again, 'I don't trust you Mommy'. I pull him off and say 'let's be brave. Close your eyes and give it a try'. He silently nods his head, sits between my legs and we go.

I wish I could say that he loved it, that he jumped out of the water shouting 'let's do it again!'. He didn't. He cried. He cried from the time I pushed off to when we climbed out of the pool. He started shaking uncontrollably with quivering lips. It was talked about hours later as the worst thing he has ever done in his life. Nonetheless, I am proud of him, he did something that he thought was going be scary and tried it.

I myself, took my advice. This was the first time I bravely wore a bikini to the public pool. With my son screaming murder at the top of his lungs, mothers giving me the look like I abuse my child, I was trying to calm him down and not draw to much attention to him or to my bikini-wearing self. With my tummy kind of proudly displaying (and somewhat hiding) my three 4" long stretch marks, I wanted to tell my son 'look at Mommy, see how brave I am today' but I really don't think he would have understood.

14 comments:

Marla said...

congrats on teh bikini wearing... hope Henry isn't too tramatized :)

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

That's funny, about the bravery being for you more than him! No bikinis in my world stretch marks or not, You ARE brave!

kristine said...

Way to go mommy! That is a true mom moment. Good for you!
Wahoo on the bikini, too! That is brave!

Carol said...

I have complete empathy for the slide experience. I am now the mother of a 3 year old who is terrified of any slide beyond a standard 5ft kind.Not my proudest achievement.

Good for you going with the bikini, you win the bravery award for sure.

A Crafty Mom said...

How great that you got him to go down - but sorry he was scared. He'll forget it soon enough, don't worry!! Major kudos for wearing a bikini - GOOD for you!!

Marla said...

yes still on vacation ... 2 weeks - hoping to blog every day...

Simply Shannon said...

Major kudos to you both! It is a pity that we have to worry so much about what others think of us. It is a reality of life that I am fighting hard to overcome on a daily basis myself.

Kristen said...

Kudos to both of you!!

So glad to hear that both of you tried something scary.

That so sounds like our son. Sometimes I really think they do need forced to try new things.

Great post!

Miss Lisa said...

Good for you! I bet you looked great-- we are all very proud of your bravery :)

amanda said...

such a huge mommy moment :)

long distance high five to both of you!!

Laural Out Loud said...

If I'd done something as brave as you, I'd be shaking like Henry! Good for both of you.

Rebecca said...

Great story.

BookMamma said...

God, what a great post on so many levels!! I love you trying to do the true parenting moment and, unlike on Hallmark commercials, it not working out in EXACTLY the right way. I love you taking your own advice. I love that Henry will probably be faced with another scene like this one (sooner rather than later) and will remember his mom's words.

Thanks for stopping by the HH! I'm just now getting caught up from being away awhile...

Anonymous said...

I'm so making him go down the slide here when he comes - until he likes it. I don't have the guilt of the mommy stares... I can just explain that I'm only an aunt and don't know any better.
I'm surprised he wasn't into it. And I'm also surprised you haven't worn a bikini in years. Show off that hot bod, lady!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...