Sunday, July 20, 2008

federal architecture

We (well, mostly me) walked through 31 houses, peeled back the orange shag carpet to peek at the hardwood floors in about 12 houses, we put offers in on 7 houses and we ended up with the 1 house my husband walked into and said 'now this is more like it'. It was the very first day the house was on the market, there were 3 offers and we paid over the asking price for the house but all in all, we loved our little three bedroom, one bathroom house. We lived in that house for three years. In that time, we got married (I know, us sinners) , we had our first baby and we fell in love with our neighbors.

Walking around the neighborhood, we spied a house 35 years newer, 2 1/2 blocks away from our current house, that was a huge 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom. We yet again, fell in love, this time it was for the potential. So we packed up our little red radio flyer and made about 1000 trips back and forth those 2 1/2 blocks. (I'm totally joking, of course we begged and borrowed friends and a truck, like normal people do).

The relationship with our house has been been mostly one-sided, us being the giver, the house being the taker (as in taking our wallets and squeezing out as much as possible). The house was in horrible condition, owned by not one, but two smokers, and everything from the light fixtures to light switch plates had to be replaced. The outside was nearly as bad, decorated with plastic butterflies and an eagle.
No doubt the butterflies were burned within the first week, but my husband held his ground on the eagle, he said 'it's federal architecture'. I begged, I stomped my foot and I even offered 'my services' unmentionable in my blog. (I did hijack my parent's computer last time I was home and added my blog to their favorites, so just in case, ya know). The eagle remained in it's honorable position above the garage for three years.
This weekend, I got my reckoning. A hail storm pounded our neighborhood two months ago, providing us with a new roof and siding (thank you, God and our friendly insurance claim adjuster). As the siding was being ripped away, I snuck outside, nabbed it from a pile of 'too be saved' and threw it. Can you guess where?

10 comments:

Marketing Mama said...

That would drive me nuts, too. Did your hubby know? Is the big dumpster still in your driveway? Watch out - he might go digging! :)

Miss Lisa said...

You wonder what some people are thinking.
We had our roof replaced too thanks to hail--ugh!

Kristen said...

That is hysterical!!!

Has your hubby noticed yet??

Seriously Beth, that is too great.
And for the record, I would not have been the biggest fan of the plastic eagle either.

Thank goodness for hail!

Laural Out Loud said...

I'm constantly getting rid of my husband's trash. I have to hide it first, to make sure he won't miss anything, but after the all-clear, off it goes!

Your set-up is perfect- if he notices, he'll just assume it was mistakenly thrown away by the workers!

It really was hideously ugly.

Rebecca said...

Whoa. What did your husband say?

kristine said...

lol!!!

Marla said...

and I'm sure you felt a huge sense of glee as you chucked it over the side! Love it!

A Crafty Mom said...

OMG, good for you!! I'm with Kristen, I wondered if he even noticed it was gone!

Beth Cotell said...

You did the right thing! Whenever I see those eagles on houses I drift back to 1976....

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...