Sunday, July 13, 2008

encouraging words

'Hold your pee for as long as possible, do this sort of yoga downward dog pose and remain in this position for the minimum of 1 hour and really try to do this five days before you ovulate' (because that is so predictable). Henry was 'the bottom of the barrel', five-dayer and should have been girl, but I hope you guessed it, he's a boy. I've even had another person's embryo put into my body and yet again, boy. When Wyatt came along, people started cheering me on, 'Are you going to try for a girl? I bet you'll have a girl if you get pregnant again'. If your going to bet on me (the wife of a husband whose the fifth son), I'd be betting for the the boy team, people. Encouraging words are thrown my way often. 'You should definitely try for a third, your due for a girl'.

Those encouraging words have seemed to spread outward, somewhere in the past two months it's changed from 'oh, he's just a baby' to 'I once met a 17 month old that wasn't yet walking and she turned out just fine, it really wasn't a problem'. From being this 'average' little baby to suddenly this 14 month old toddler that could be highly encouraged to be signed up for after-play date tutoring. Unless I have a white piece of paper safety-pinned to my back with the words 'Needs Encouragement' written, please you and your 'just-turned-out-to-be-a-girl, already-walking-at-10-months' little toddler just continue on toddling by. Me and Wyatt will be following right behind you; crawling, sticking our tongues out and giving you mean baby faces.

Over the weekend he decided to take a few steps, so perhaps we won't have to pay for tutoring afterall.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really adopt an embryo!? That is so cool. I have actually just started looking into that. My husband and I have the desire to possibly adopt, but I think embryo adoption is amazing, especially since people don't normally think of it!

kristine said...

You know, I am so with you on keeping the mindset of they will do it at their own pace. Graycen didn't push up until she was about 7 months old (but she was sitting at 5) and didn't crawl until she was almost 10 months. They will do things when they want and when they are ready.
I just love the last 2 sentences of your last paragraph - made me laugh!

A Crafty Mom said...

OMG how cute is THAT? He is so proud of himself, I LOVE IT!!!! Don't worry about what ignorant and rude people say - and they will say dumb things - you and your family will always be doing it *right* for you.

If I had a penny for every time I heard "bet you hope this is a girl" when I was pregnant with Leah (my third baby, first girl) I'd be able to buy the Ecohome ;-)

Marketing Mama said...

Ugh - I also hate unsolicited advice. And hey, those are LOTS of steps, he's totally walking. CUTE video!!! :)

Kristen said...

Hang in there! Literally Cade did not walk AT ALL until after 15 months.

No one ever fills out there job application with how soon they walked!

But, can I tell you he is just SO CUTE! SO CUTE!!!

And I love the mean baby faces. That is just too funny! :)

Rebecca said...

He's PERFECT!

Marla said...

so happy piece of mind has found you... my mom was just telling me this story about my twin brothers and walking...one did it at 12 months one did it at 17...

Miss Lisa said...

Dino didn't walk until 24 months!!!! I heard lots of comments too :(
He looks so cute--in my book, you've got it all :)

Anonymous said...

But look! He's walking! He's going to be tackling Danielle to the ground before you know it. Proud aunty I am.
Looking forward to seeing you all next week!

Anonymous said...

Not that it matters, but my husband is the 5th boy too. And we have a girl, so anything is possible I guess. But I would hate to be one of those annoying encouragers that you are talking about that give unsolicited advice. So, I'm going to duck and run.

amanda said...

ok can't decide what is cuter... him taking such sweet little steps or the adorable tshirt he is wearing!!

love it friend :)

Carol said...

Oh pah! I hate that stuff.

I have heard it all.

FYI my 2nd child didn't walk til 16.5 months. They do it when they're good and ready.

My friends kids walked at 9 months so she was convinced he was suffering from some disability and constantly went on about it.

I just told her she's the one with a disability! Not being able to keep her mouth closed!

McMommy said...

Have you read 3boys247's post about "100 Reasons why I'm glad to be a Mom of all boys"? It's FANTASTIC!!

I would give you the link but I have no idea how to hyperlink in comments section.

But she did post it on POW today....

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

your commentary is hilarious! i'm adding you to my reader! congrats on the "noafterplaydate" tutoring ;)

Tyne said...

What a cute kiddo, glad you caught his first steps on video!

Laural Out Loud said...

People need to keep their mouths shut. It gets my panties in a bunch to hear people butting their noses where they don't belong.

Okay, on to better things- your baby! He'll walk when he's good an ready. He's got a houseful of people to do his bidding- why on earth would he want to walk?

Kate said...

My first was a boy. I "tried for a girl" three more times and got four MORE boys!! The Twinkeys just turned 12 months and are nowhere near walking. Now, if baby speed crawling was an olympic event, we'd get a medal 4 sure. Especially if their older brothers drop a chip on the floor. Heh. No worries!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...