Friday, November 11, 2011

on my plate

I'm pretty sure when people see us coming, they do one of two things; 1) they turn their head in the other direction, like 'here comes that train wreck, avoid this at all costs', which I know, we do look like a literal train. Two one-year-old little girls in the wagon, me ahead of them, pulling; Wyatt running too far ahead for me to even see him and in the middle, another little girl, a two-year-old, trying to catch up.

Or 2) when people see us, they go out of their way to help us; screaming at the top of the hill, waving hands in the air, 'NO! Let me get that door for you', though I'm in arm shot of just opening the darn thing myself.

I get it. I look like I've got my hands full (and omgosh, I wish I got a dollar, or a puppy, or a Snickers for every time I heard that phrase in my face: 'looks like you've got your hands full', duh, I run a child care, that kinda involves taking care of a few kids). People see me and pretty much assume that I've already got too much on my plate, maybe it's the permanent wrinkle lines across my forehead from screaming at Wyatt, I'm not sure.

So, what did I get assigned to bring to Wyatt's little preschool Thanksgiving feast next week:


It's just like telling that weird uncle of yours, who you wouldn't trust with your dog, 'just bring rolls or something' for Thanksgiving... 'Don't put too much on his plate,' nudges your sister.

I'm that weird uncle who can't handle bringing anything more than rolls.

::

Sometimes I love my job.

12 comments:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Be thankful. Last year for my son's school, I had to package all of the ingredients and cooking implements and send them off so the classroom could cook the rolls at school.

I would have preferred bringing them some store bought rolls. ;D

Emmy said...

I would happily sign up just to bring the rolls!

amanda said...

for the record i know for a fact that you could rock out the whole meal. solo. bc you my friend are that cool.

thanks for the chat/vent session. i needed it.

xo

ps - nap totally didn't last. overtired baby awake and mad at the world.

MommyLisa said...

My SIL always asks me to bring "relish" which to her means pickles and olives because she knows damn well I out cook and out bake her by a country MILE.

Marie said...

After reading this, I've decided to always sign up to bring dinner rolls whenever the opportunity arises. And they will be of the store-bought variety. Baking and I are NOT friends.

Mom of 12 said...

Rolls sounds good to me! Fun blog - new follower.
Sandy

Stephanie said...

LOL Had to stop by because I saw your name and loved it, so glad I did. I think you are okay with rolls, now when you get assigned to bring a bag of chips, that's when you should start to worry:)

jen said...

my classic response is, "it's a good kind of full."

but yes. i totally agree. take the roll contribution ... screw having to put together a pumpkin pie or something.

note to self ... when visiting the school ... borrow children.

An Imperfect Momma said...

well just bringing rolls seems awesomely easy. But it is something I would assign to someone I thought couldn't handle bringing more

Heather B said...

consider it a blessing!! my daughter signs me up for homemade cupcakes with seasonal cupcake wrappers, corresponding frosting color...oh, and dont forget to make the frosting roses, "my friends really like them". so many times i want to say "FORGET YOUR FRIENDS!!" lol!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Hey I brought apple juice even though I guess there was apple juice allergy in the class and they still asked me to bring juice. The specified this time though "capri sun." I got cherry.

The Accidental Somebody said...

I'd totally be down with roll duty...or the paper plate duty. I don't have my hands full, I just don't cook!

:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...