Monday, May 23, 2011

sharing

It's like when you get married, when you meet people after taking on your husband's last name. They only know the new you... the new last name... you, as a married woman.

But you want to stand there with them and talk to them about who you use to be. It seems silly though, frivolous that you need to tell them something so insignificant like your maiden name. To declare to them that I have past identity!

It's how I feel about being a surrogate. I want to tell people that meet me about being a surrogate, that I delivered this baby. That he is out there in the world. He was part of me and part of who I use to be. He's part of my identity.

So, please, I'm not flaunting it. It is just part of me.

It's the part that I rarely talk about. The part that people that meet me now have no idea about. But sometimes I need to share it.

Today is my surrogate son's 5th birthday and I just wanted to share that.


I just needed to share it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh, so sweet. I'm glad you wrote this. We've shared our surrogate stories before and, speaking as the person who received a baby from a (different) surrogate mom, thank you.

Sister1 said...

Happy Birthday! What a special day for you. It totally moves me that there are people out there willing to share of themselves in this unique and powerful way.

I have a friend of a friend who is going through the surrogate process and I just sent it on to her; thanks for putting it out there!
-Lesa

Robin said...

Thank you for sharing this. As a mom of a girl who shares your surrogate son's exact birthdate and who is bursting with the joy of turning 5 today, I can only imagine the many thanks that are coming to you today from the parents to whom you gave the most precious gift. Hugs to you today!

saucersrus said...

Happy Birthing day to you and Happy Birthday to that little boy who will always have a little piece of your heart :) You have an AMAZING family!!

Emmy said...

I did not know that-how amazingly awesome. What a truly wonderful gift

KristinFilut said...

Gosh, how awesome. I still think that the gift of parenthood is such an amazing gift to give. You are wonderful, Beth. And happy birthday to that little man!

Mandy said...

You're my hero. What a special day for you and your surrogate son's family. :)

amanda said...

i am so glad you shared. and so very proud of you. not to mention in awe. an amazing gift - words could never truly do it justice.

happy extra special birth-day :)

xoxo

Caitlin {Pacifier In My Pocket} said...

So sweet. It makes perfect sense to need to share your story--so much of what shapes us are the things other people don't see. What an amazing gift you gave that family!

Caution/Lisa said...

I really can't get over the way you have transformed the lives of another family. I think the "past" you is pretty impressive :)

darcie said...

I cannot believe it's been 5 years. What a gift you have given that fmaily. What. a. gift.

Shan said...

I thought this post was moving and lovely even before I discovered it was his birthday. Silly that it brought a tear to my eye I guess, but it's not the first time I've been silly.

And I heart you, too, beth!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I know you aren't asking for it, but what an amazing woman you are for doing something so selfless for somebody else!

Happy birthday to your little man, who isn't so little anymore.

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday to your surrogate son, and happy fifth anniversary of becoming a revised version of whom I'm sure you already were... an amazing woman!

amy said...

Wow - that is amazing that you gave of yourself that way. What a gift you gave them and what a sacrifice you made.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...