Wednesday, April 6, 2011

blame game

I'm pretty sure that I've written something about Edith being part ninja, if I didn't, well... she's a ninja. Anything that is in the realm of her hands is going to be hers. She'll throw her body (with the assumption that we will still be able to hold onto her) towards whatever she wants. She'll even trick you with her back-bend move where she's fooling you into thinking she is going to just be a sweet baby and look up at those oh-so-fascinating lights and then wham... she grabs whatever she had her eye on and shoves it into her mouth with a sweet little smile of victory.

Sunday morning we were sitting in the pew at church, after already handing her all of the papers we were given while cursing myself (well, not cursing, we were in church) for not bringing anything for her to chew on. She was gazing at the bibles, drool running down the corners of her mouth just thinking about chewing on something as delicious as those leather bound books.

She was starting to fuss.

My husband and I traded Edy back and forth. My husband leaned over and said something to me. I leaned back over to him and whispered in his ear, 'you need gum'.

(I know, I'm such a sweet, adoring wife.)

I pulled the pack of gum out of my bag. It's the kind where they pop it out of the back. I handed it to him.

Then Ninja Baby swept in and grabbed the pack out of my hands. She started chewing on the corner, which I decided... 'she's quiet, she's happy, no problem.'

Then she gets this look on her face. She starts coughing, and coughing and more coughing. Her little face turns red and her eyes start watering. I'm feeling horrible.

She's continues coughing and coughing.

I stick my finger in her mouth to see if I can find anything. (Yes, I know you aren't suppose to do this... whatever, I did).

She gagged and threw up.

She coughed more and threw up more.

Then finally she started to return to her normal coloring, her body relaxed.

Finally.

Stupid gum.


Yes, I'm blaming the gum

or my husband, for needing the gum in the first place.



17 comments:

Mnmom said...

I find just blaming my husband is much quicker than finding the real cause. He seems OK with it too.

amanda said...

oh holy hockey sticks! i almost had a heart attack reading this!! silly ninja babies!!

Buckeroomama said...

Well, if he hadn't needed the gum in the first place...

Glad that Edith is fine. :)

tracy said...

You are a saint - a baby in church. Next time try altoids.

Anti-Supermom said...

I should clarify, the poor thing didn't have gum, I think it was a bit of paper, or worse some of the tin foil... but not gum.

Does that make me feel like a better mother, not really.

Liz Mays said...

Poor little thing! I wonder if she just swallowed wrong. But yeah, it's his fault. It always is. :)

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I am all for blaming the husband. haha ;)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Yep, totally his fault!

That gum is spicy.

Celeste said...

DUH, absolutely hubs fault! I'm joining your anti supermom movement! Wahoo! Love your blog :-)
Stop in sometime over at mine, I think we might have a lot in common.

CHEERS!
shallowOcity

Anonymous said...

totally your husband's fault for needing the gum in the first place.

Emmy said...

Glad she was okay that would be scary. It is so nice when they finally get past the everything in the mouth stage.

Aryn said...

I like thinking about Edy as a ninja. Can she be a ninja for Halloween this year?!?

Shannon said...

Your blog is SO fab! Cutely designed and just darn funny! I found you from ShallowOcity.com! Congrats on the win for Waaay Too Close Wednesday! Good stuff!

Stop by and say hi...
Her Cup Runs Over

Shannon :)

Janelle Halverson said...

Awesome!! Is it me or is it just in church these types of blessed events happen? Hmmmm ...

Claremont First Ward said...

Ugh. I can picture the sequence of events. :) My kids always threw up as babies when they'd cough really hard.

Shan said...

Men!

(That must have been really scary.)
(Hugs.)

Capital Mom said...

I like to blame everyone else. For everything. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...